Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I have a 06 Jeep commander 5.7 hemi. The other day, drove 15 miles, stopped, turned the vehicle off, came back 2 minutes later and when I turned the key, had a problem starting, almost like it didn’t want to turn over. I finally got it to turn over and it was such a ruff, hellacious rattle when rpms were up... let foot off gas and it stauled ... tried again, same thing.. never wanted to keep running and the same horrible sound. We are very good at changing oil, checking fluids.. keeping it in tip top shape. Had NO clue, not even a hint this was gonna happen... anyone out there know what it could be? We took it to a garage and they seem to think the timing chain broke or bad lifters? How would I know that with out tearing it apart? What should I check first? Sorry just so upsetting when you keep nice things and this happens..

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
Have you checked for codes?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sorry bud but it is hard to diagnose a problem from a person's description of a sound. I would suggest you try and localise the area where the sound is coming from with a mechanics stethescope. If the timing chain was broken, the engine would not run again so if it continues to start, the chain must be intact. You can also try to turn the engine over by hand with a ratchet on the crank damper bolt and feel for binding or spots where the engine is hard to turn.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Really bad misfires result in major detonation which could sound like a chain cut loose inside. That could be caused by bad coils or plugs but also the dreaded camshaft /lifter failure. A valve seat could have also dropped out of a head. Running a compression test would determine if the valve train is intact.

·
Super Moderator
5,779 Posts
@DbleKsXK; It sure doesn't sound good, I'm wondering if maybe you dropped a valve. The Hemi's are pretty notorious for that. Could also be a bad lifter.

Surely there must be some DTC's showing up in the EVIC - if your engine is making that much of a racket.

Are you seeing any DTC's?

Also, your other thread in the service/maintenance sub-forum has been deleted - please do not post the same thread in multiple sub-forums, cross-posting is a violation of forum rules, thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did make progress... not so good progress but progress none the less..
threw a rod and came up and smacked the spark plugs ... refurbed engine is going in with warranty. $$$$ Truck is in awesome shape, no rust, takin very good care of so that is why I’m keeping it.
Funny thing is, the more I research the 5.7
Hemi Engine, the more issues people are having the same problems ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts