Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum, Im in need of some advice. My mechanic changed out my rack and pinion and now esp engages when you go around a corner either direction. If you push and hold esp button and turn it off its fine. They had a guy try to reflash the computer but when I asked him earlier he was busy and im still waiting on a call back... Where do I go from here? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
862 Posts
Wheel sensor problems. I had a bad sensor on one side, and it would lock up so bad, I had to pull the ABS fuse to kill it.

The dash display should be griping about SERVICE 4x4 SYSTEM though.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Could be out of alignment now with the work you had done. This can cause the ESP/Traction Control to engage.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I'm hoping your mechanic aligned the front end after replacing the rack. If he didnt I'd look for a new mechanic because that's the issue for sure. If it was aligned they didn't do a good job at aligning it

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Who did you bring it to? Did they give you an alignment printout?

Side note- saw you a few times about a month ago. Seemed like we were crossing paths quite a bit for a few days there.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I have a stupid question... Where did you get the steering rack from? New OEM Mopar from dealer or a refurbished rack from local parts store?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, Forgot to mention, My mechanic did get it aligned, I dont have the print out, going there tomorrow to check a few things out that I came across, SCCM calibration, also theres the torx screw on the column to check for alignignment. The rack is a cardone rack, I did some research and found that the Chrysler rack was really expensive and not worth the difference in cost. Any issues now are new and I dont think are the rack, perhaps calibration, but not the actual rack. Mechanic is Earhart Automotive in Freehold. The guy knows his stuff, He is certified over and above, Hes got a good group of guys and hes been there forever, I bring all my work trucks there for servicing, this is just one of those picky cars with all the bells and whistles that have a few bugs that show up. On the positive side all the clunks and bangs seem to be gone.

Matt, HAHA, yeah, i was gonna go up to you and say hey but I wasnt sure it was you, didnt know you changed up the look on your Jeep. Looks really good, I almost messaged you to see if you had any issues like mine.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I heard that the reman racks can cause issues if the wrong one is installed. If it originally came from a grand Cherokee then that could be your problem. I went with one from Mopar because when you get a reman unit you have no clue what vehicle it came out of and I didn't want issues

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
07 Jeep, What kind of issues could it cause, I dont think theres any sensors on the rack... hmmmm, making me think...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Just a guess, they could have different pinion gearing.... possibly giving the XK a slower steering angle change per steering wheel rotation to help rollover prevention from the higher COG.

This would cause exactly what you're describing.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have to ask... just WHY did you have to replace your rack & pinion? Mine's a 2006, do I have that to look forward to soon?!?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Guys, thanks for the input. I went over to my mechanics today, did the steering wheel left to right and and centered still doing it. The mistake i made was I thought the esp/bas and traction light were on, not true, no lights are on and no codes stored. In a desperate attemp to get this resolved I told my mechanic about all the posts with yaw sensors and the sac and sccm and of course they knew about them, but one of the other mechanics went out when i was there and put his scanner on it. The yaw sensor just sitting there was moving from 0 to -0.6 and quickly kept flashing a -1.1 before going back to 0. He was going to try the yaw sensor. What do you guys think?

Adondo, I had the rack replaced because I was getting a lot of clunking when I turn and hit a bump as well as getting a little tire wear that originally was thought to be a worn tie rod...

Thanks Again Guys

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
My guess what be what Matt said. All I know is you can't put a grand Cherokee rack in a commander or commander rack in a grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Steering rack part numbers:

2006 - 2008 (pre Sept 2007 build) / 52090488AE
2008 (post Sept 2007 build) - 2010 / 68042636AB

Neither part number is listed as a replacement for the WK.

So not only is there a difference between XK racks that changed during 2008 production, there are completely different part numbers for the WK.

I don't know what the difference are, but i know when I need to replace my 2007 rack i'm going to order 52090488AE.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Matt, ill check my receipt from dealer and see if that's the same one I got

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE!!! Nothing, New yaw sensor did nothing, Checked part numbers for the rack and was told its the right rack, Somethings going on though... I cant even drive my Jeep...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, as far as I know it went back as a core. Is it possible the rack would turn on the abs/esp pump from it being a different rack? I have to call Jeep tomorrow I guess.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Is it possible the rack would turn on the abs/esp pump from it being a different rack?
Absolutely. Like mentioned in a previous post all it would take is a slightly different pinion gearing to do exactly what you're describing.

Since the WK/XK are identical in every other way (hence the rack bolted right in), its logical that the reason Chrysler has a different rack for the two vehicles is different gearing.

.... it would be like taking a rear end from the "same" vehicle but not realizing it has different gears in it, then wondering why your ABS light is on and the trans isn't shifting right (assuming 2wd otherwise you'd blow up the tcase)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts