Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have removed the coolant resevoir and got three of the strut nuts off but the last one has a plastic hose connector thing on it. I have tried to pry on it lightly and pull and twist without breaking it but breaking it is seeming more and more like the only option. Does anyone know what to do with this little bas****?!

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I installed mine I just used 2 flat-head screw divers pointed in opposite directions, underneath either side to slowly pry it off. I do remember it being a pain, but with a little patience it came off with no problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool! I will try that now. Thanks:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, new problem! The lower strut bolt was not exactly sliding out soo. . I started doing what anyone would do, pound on it with a mallet. After about a half inch and the bolt not coming any easier I started thinking god I hope this was not threaded on the inside. So does anyone know whether or not it is threaded? If it is not HOW THE HECK DO U GET THE BOLT OUT? I pounded till it is pretty much flush with the strut fork so I can't pound any more and I see no efficient way to pry from the other side.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would a hair dryer work?

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Ahhhh memories! lol!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Weelll, the project didn't go according to plan so this is the state of my jeep 'till Sunday when I can work on it again:(

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just did mine last week and all the bolts came out really easily. From start to finish it took a few hours but I had a hydraulic lift and a floor jack to jack up the lower control arm instead of holding them up myself while reconnecting the lower and upper control arms. My jeep also only has 18,000 miles on it so it hasn't had much time for the bolts to get really stuck in there. Hope everything else went well yesterday!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everything worked out ok. We worked the bolts out by one of us using a ratchet turning the bolt while the other sprayed wd-40 on it then beat it back and forth with a hammer and a 6 inch extention bar till it was lubed up enough to slide out. It took about 45 min each bolt but mine has 75,000 miles and has seen plenty of mud:) My Mickey Thompson MTZs come in Thursday so I will post some pics up after they are on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.