Jeep Commander Forum banner

Help: strange noise turning wheel

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  filo8818 
#1 ·
Hi! Today i notice that turning the wheel on one side with the car not moving i feel a sort of 'tunc' noise coming from the wheel or the suspension. My jeep has 75k km, is time to change something liked with suspensions?? Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
actually i realize it in the parking position, i turn all right and is not doing it, when i turn all the wheel left i feel this sort of noise just on the last part of the rotation. But is the ball join is complicated to change it? thanks a lot for all..

#4 ·
It does sound like a ball joint to me.. If it's the lower ball joint that's gone, you need a press to replace it, if it's the upper ball joint, you replace the upper control arm, the upper ball joint is included with the control arm and is mounted to it.. The control arm is easy to replace, the lower ball joint would be better left to someone with the right tools and has done them before.. If you jack the Jeep up on the side that you think is making the noise and put a bar under the tire and lift against the bottom of the tire you will here the noise if it's the lower joint, either way, if ones bad, you should replace both sides at the same time..

#5 ·
thank a lot, i ll check it. Btw i have the 2" lift kit, i dont know if this change something.
anyway is normal to change the ball joint around 75.000Km? or they suppose to resist longer?

#6 ·
So you have 46,000 miles if I'm calculating correctly.. No that is not normal for that amount mileage.. I don't know what effect your lift has on frontend components but I'm sure there is an effect and that may be why something has gone south prematurally..

#7 ·
ya u r counting in a good way. also for me is soo less. So i ask you the last think, there is way, maybe removing the wheel, to see is the ball joint is gone? or i have to remove other part, cause i never worked on that part of my jeep, so im kinda "new" :D

thanks again

#8 ·
Ok new update: the noise is coming even when i stop then i accelerate in a fast way... I hear like a sort of movement in front ( are suspension/ wheel)
Any ideas??

#9 ·
Did you jack it and push on the wheel with a lever arm(2x4 or a strong pipe) to see if it can clank.

#11 ·
Ya for sure you are right. But about the swaybar bushing i guess is not cause i change it not so long time ago and generally i feel a sort of noise when i brake... So i guess is more probably the ball joints cause the noise id coming just from one side of the car ( the driver one)... Hope to solve.. And hope is not something too serious..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.