Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sure hope somebody out there knows a lot about the air conditioner motor, especially those on the XK.

Just today I turned on my Jeep and the AC motor started making a very loud wobbly/vibration noise. It doesn't matter if I turn on the AC or not. As long as it's blowing air through the vents its making this terrible noise. The higher I turn the air, the louder it gets. When it's blowing on high, it's so bad that it actually vibrates the whole car. The noise is coming from behind the glovebox, where I assume the motor is.

Has anyone else had or heard of this problem? I tried searching the threads before posting, but didn't find any threads about this issue.

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
AC Blower

Well, through the wonderful world of "google" I was able to find articles about stuff (i.e. napkins/tissues) being sucked into the blower from the glove compartment, causing it to vibrate. I ended up removing the blower from beneath the glovebox (very easy by the way), to see if something was sucked into it. Sure enough, it was filled with ripped up tissues, but the true cause of the problem was a MOUSE! I tipped the blower over and a dead mouse fell on my hand. I screeched like a little girl. It makes me nervous that I might have a family of mice living inside my engine. Anyway, I cleaned out the blower, reinstalled it, and whalla, it works perfectly.

If anyone encounters this same issue, don't worry, it is one of the easiest repairs to do. Took me maybe 20 minutes. Just need to take out 2 screws to remove the panel beneath the glove box, then 3 additional screws to remove the blower.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Well done!

Poor ole mouse had a wild ride to the end ay?

Talk about a imbalanced fan motor.

Anyways, if you are keeping your Commander in a garage you need to find out what is drawing the mice.
Obviously, any trash in the corners can do it but the most common draw is the habit of keeping seeds in the garage.
Such as bird seed for your feeder and the like.
The one thing that draws mice like flys is grass seed.
They can smell it even if the bag is closed, and they will move seed to various hiding spots......your Commander will become one of those hiding spots.

So, look around a bit.....your storage methods may be causing this problem.

Good luck!
Rob

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do store lots of grass seed in my garage. That could very well be what drew the mice into my garage. We have wide open field behind our house, and this is not our first mouse encounter. I guess I could move the grass seed into my basement, but that just might encourage them to take shelter inside my house.

As far as where the air inlet is, I'm not sure. It was hard to see up in the chamber where the motor is stored. But I do agree, it seems like there would be a screen of sorts to keep debris (mice) from entering...unless it chewed right through it.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
The inlet is under the black plastic cover between windshield and hood on the passenger side.
Although small leaves and debris can get drawn past the grillwork and into the fan (many have had this happen) a secondary screen, regardless of manufacturer, is rarely used.
Although I have never seen one, there was/is some sort of product update of sorts that added a screening under the grillwork I mention.

Regarding rodent entrance......if we were to remove the front fenders, you would find at either side of the inlet cowling a large opening......on the order of 3" to 4" square. This is the usual entry point.
All vehicles are configured in this way to allow debris to be flushed out of that area.
Otherwise, water and ????? would trap in there, ultimatly rusting the area through.
Not good, the floor of the cowling is just above your feet.
An actual screen, attached to the inlet, would become restricted with chaff and debris in short order, so it is not used.

Many of the newest vehicles use a interior air filter and have some rather convoluted ductwork to act as a debris seperator.
Obviously, this is not the case with the Commander and I suspect its use was nixed due to the anticipated use of the vehicle in dusty/damp offroad situations.
If it had a cabin filter, the off road, explorer crowd would be exchanging filters every month.

Anyways, sounds like the source of rodent magnets has been found.
I have used one of those plastic outdoor storage boxes from a Menards type operation to be a good/dry seed and yard stuff storage system.
I have the same, open field situation you describe.

I cannot emphasize enouph the type of damage rodents do to vehicles.
Specifcally, they are drawn to wiring systems.....apparently a good tooth sharpener.
I have repaired many open circuits due to rodents, so consider your experience a very fortunate warning.

Good luck,
Rob

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a great idea Robby. I think I'm going to head to the hardware store this week to pick up an outdoor storage bin to put my seed in. That's what I'm most worried about; mice living in my engine compartment and chewing through wires/tubes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have to check this when I get home today. Last summer and this summer, my AC has been making a crazy noise off and on. You found a dead mouse, well mine sounds like I have a live pigeon on crack living in my AC. Sound is coming from the passenger side, so I'm really hoping it's the same problem. Will be doing some disassembly as soon as I get home. Thanks for posting the tips!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have pictures, but it is extremely easy to do . Literally you just have to remove a total of 5 screws and it drops right out. See my second post on this thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts