Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I go to pull out and i notice something is wrong...I look and my tire doesn't turn. This is what i see... What just happened. What just snapped? The car was parked. Is it expensive ?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I dont know, but it sure dont look good. And if yoou got to ask what it is, I dought you can fix it yourself. I would say its atleast a few hundred without towing.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
That is the lower strut fork. You should be able to fix it but it is not too easy. It would be best to have it towed because with it in that situation it is likely to damage other parts by even moving the vehicle. You may want to raise and support the front of the vehicle with a jack stand from under the front diff or frame to remove the stress off of the other front end parts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is the lower strut fork. You should be able to fix it but it is not too easy. It would be best to have it towed because with it in that situation it is likely to damage other parts by even moving the vehicle.
Great..Thanks...I do not plan on repairing it myself...

Is the part expensive? Is there alot of labor involved?

Thanks all for the quick replies.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I am not sure on the cost of the part but their will be a couple hours labor in the repair.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
May I ask what you did to make that break?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
May I ask what you did to make that break?
That's the strange part...Nothing that I can think of...No off roading, no potholes...I have no idea.

I drove to the mall and back home. Nothing seamed wrong. Parked the jeep for 2 hours or so. When I went to pull out of the spot I noticed something was wrong...

What can cause that?

·
Registered
30 Posts
If it was just sitting when this happened... How in the HE double hockey sticks did the strut jump over the axle shaft..:scratchhead:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it was just sitting when this happened... How in the HE double hockey sticks did the strut jump over the axle shaft..:scratchhead:

I did try backing out and noticed something was wrong. At first i thought I hit the curb... But yeah I have no idea...I am wondering if someone tried to park in front of me and pushed against my jeep trying to fit in...
Also how should I have this towed? Will this be a problem?
Flat bed?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
There is no easy way to have it towed. I would say that if it is possible to get access to the front of the jeep have it lifted by the front. Dragging it up on the flat bed will most likely cause more damage but that will be up to the towing company to determine. As to the cause of the damage I cannot even begin to imagine how this happened. If someone hit the tire I would think the most likely damage would be to the ball joint or steering parts. This is a very unique sort of damage considering the situation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is no easy way to have it towed. I would say that if it is possible to get access to the front of the jeep have it lifted by the front. Dragging it up on the flat bed will most likely cause more damage but that will be up to the towing company to determine. As to the cause of the damage I cannot even begin to imagine how this happened. If someone hit the tire I would think the most likely damage would be to the ball joint or steering parts. This is a very unique sort of damage considering the situation.
Thanks...I am just grateful and amazed this didn't happen an hour before when i was driving on the highway with my family...

Some Mystery eh?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Definitely have it towed and let the towing company figure how to tow it.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
NewCommander, Did you notice anything odd while driving prior to the break? You said you were on the highway, Did you hit any large holes or anything out of the ordinary? Maybe you should call the mall and see if you can check the tapes from the security system. It is not likely that someone crashed into the wheel of your Jeep and there was no other damage but if something did happen at the mall you can always check to be sure. I doubt that you would have been able to drive home with the strut in that condition but I also do not see how it could have happened by just sitting so my guess is that the actual break happened on the road and then backing up must have just tripped the fork to move out of place.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I'm sure there is more to the story than we know. That kind of break just does not happen. Maybe he has a teenager and snuck the XK out.

·
Registered
521 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I'm sure there is more to the story than we know. That kind of break just does not happen. Maybe he has a teenager and snuck the XK out.

Haha thats halarious. Well if it broke that easily just sitting there then Im suprised I have not snapped one yet with the amount of off roading I do. Last trip to Rausch Creek I had both front wheels come of the ground and slam back down while going up a hill climb!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I am with Ranger on this one.
There is a part of the story not being told.
The photo shows a extension failure.
Since there is no corrosion at the break points, both sides failed at the same moment, and it had to be during extension for the strut to clear the drive axle.
Also, at that moment the failed side had to drop as far as the lower control arm will allow upon stopping against the chassis.
So, as you walk up to the vehicle it would have been listing (a lot) to one side.
The OP has not mentioned these other circumstances yet.

Hummmmmm,
We're waiting,
Rob

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So...today in the daylight it is obvious someone clipped my tire/wheel. The wheel is dented on one side. There are also some scrapes along the door /fender. In addition to the part that is broken in the pic, the inner tie-rod also snapped in half. Jeep does not sell that part separately, and I have to purchase the entire rack. This will not be cheap...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts