Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I've got a 2006 commander sport, cloth seats, power driver seat, non-power passenger seat. I recently picked up a full leather interior (all three rows) from a salvage yard -- new interior was taken from a 2006 commander limited. The new seats are heated and both have power adjustments. I also grabbed the dash control panel for the heated seats. For the most part, second and third row seats bolted in fine.

The issue I'm confronted with is the wiring for the passenger seat adjustment controls and the heating units for both seats. As far as I can tell, there's no wiring for the heater controls hidden under the carpets, and I likewise can't find any wiring for the adjustment controls for the passenger seat (this wiring would give power to the adjustment motors). A mechanic at the dealer said the wiring is down there "somewhere" you just have to hunt around for it. I haven't taken apart the console yet, but have looked under the carpet and can't find anything. Anyone have any advice?

I suppose the worst case is that I could ditch the heating units and take the leather covers off the new passenger seat and put it on the original seat, but that's a headache.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I just dropped mine of at the dealer for a repair or I would go out and look for you. If you do not get a response I will look as soon as I pick it up later today.

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
I would think that the wiring would not be put in a vehicle that was not being built with the power seats.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I would think that the wiring would not be put in a vehicle that was not being built with the power seats.
Wouldn't there likely be one wiring harness on the assembly line instead of one for power/heated seats and another for power/no heated seats?

As an example, I have wiring for fog lights but I do not have the lights installed.

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
I just went out and looked at mine. The wiring for the passenger seat goes into the floor about 4 inches from the console hump at the left front corner of the seat.

·
Registered
488 Posts
usually the beancounters work out that the cost of making one harness that fits all works out cheaper than making multiple harnesses and them building a vehicle with the wrong harness.

GM ( vauxhall in this country) worked that one out in the 70s, and British Leyland ( a fine example of how not to run a car company) discovered in the 80s.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
My cloth seats are heated too, very nice for the winter. The leather option would be sweet, just not in the budget right now, and I'm not upgrading anytime soon.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Used the heated seat this morning! Very nice...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
There's no power wire on the passenger side on the Sport. There's a heated seat module attached to the base of the passenger seat but there won't be any wires for it under the carpet.
You'd think it would be cheaper for Jeep to only use one harness for all XKs but i guess not.

Here's how they work
The heated seat module (HSM) is fed by a B+ circuit and continues to receive power regardless of ignition key position. The module is grounded to the body at all times through the electrical connector. The HSM monitors the ignition status message on the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus. If the ignition state is ON/RUN then the HSM will power the heating elements. The heated seat system will turn Off automatically whenever the ignition switch is turned to any position except ON/RUN. In response to the CAN inputs the heated seat module will control the battery current to the appropriate heated seat elements.

You can run a power wire for the passenger seat from the power wire on the driver's seat.

·
Registered
488 Posts
My cloth seats are heated too, very nice for the winter. The leather option would be sweet, just not in the budget right now, and I'm not upgrading anytime soon.
heated leather seats are excellent.

only thing I don't like is the first time you use them it feels like you peed yourself :D

·
Registered
717 Posts
I also wish that the seat heaters would come on with the remote start... The leather is cold during Buffalo winters!! In my 2001 Grand the seat heaters were controlled by rocker switches...they could be left on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Progress

Hey all:

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Big help. Here's where I am so far. Got all three rows installed. The front passenger seat was the biggest hurdle in that it had no power for the adjustment motors. To get around this, I built a small box under the driver seat and spliced the power wires from the driver seat and ran them over to the passenger seat. Works fine now. As YB Normal stated above, I found the heated seat modules, but there's no wiring on either side from the HSM to the heating units on the seats. That's not a huge priority right now, but I'd like to get them hooked up at some point.

Curiously, the airbag light is now coming on with some regularity. There's a message printed on the passenger floor under the seat that says if the seats are removed, the dealer has to do a reset of the airbag system. Has something to do with the seat/seatbelt sensors I gather. Anyone had this issue come up before?

Thanks again for all the help.

Jeff

2006 Commander Sport
1986 CJ-7 Laredo

·
Registered
887 Posts
How about some pic's! What did the set cost you in a boneyard?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts