Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 Commander Limited with a Hemi. Took it in for emissions, and asked about a banging noise when I put it in drive. The dealer says the front differential bushing has gone bad and needs replaced. 2 questions, does anyone make a poly replacement, and is there an "easy" way to replace it. Probably asking for too much on both counts, but it never hurts to ask!

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
the bushing looks pretty easy to replace. i doubt there is a poly replacement.

just drop the engine skid plate. it hooks to the front of the cross-member and to the front of the diff. right next to the fill plug.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That's why they are called "Stealerships"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to do an update. The bushings are easy to get to, and pain in the butt to get out, and not bad to press in. I did it with the diff. still in the vehicle, but I think it would have been faster to drop the diff. out of the truck, press the old bushings out and new ones in with a floor press.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Just wanted to do an update. The bushings are easy to get to, and pain in the butt to get out, and not bad to press in. I did it with the diff. still in the vehicle, but I think it would have been faster to drop the diff. out of the truck, press the old bushings out and new ones in with a floor press.
Just curious, how long did it take you. At work, (body shop), we look at being able to do the job in half the amount of time as said job is written. Example, if there are 8 hrs labor, you should be able to do it in 4, but still get paid for 8. For myself as a painter, I can knock it down to about a third of the time, on average. Just wondering if mechanical labor was about the same.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Mine in the front also went bad. Covered under warranty, but they still had to drop the front diff to do the work. They also replaced a leaking axle seal at the same time, so it was worth it for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts