Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 commander and the screen will randomly go out then none of the buttons will work other than the 1 thru 6 buttons on the side.

·
Registered
205 Posts
This is a pretty common issue with the factory nav unit. There is a ribbon cable connecting the screen to a board and this connection can cause problems. Some people have been successful in taking this connection apart and trimming and re-connecting the ribbon cable. It is a task for a skilled person used to working with very small electrical devices however.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 07 commander and the screen will randomly go out then none of the buttons will work other than the 1 thru 6 buttons on the side.
There also seems to be a large number of the mopar nav head units (REC , the one with the joy stick control) that have a defect in an embedded chip that resides on the disk player daughter board. Some sort of fracturing of the chip bed itself. One of the tell tales of this defect is that temperature extremes (sitting in the sun or first thing on a cold morning) will cause the screen to go out and most of the buttons to not function. From what I've seen having it repaired costs as much as a refurbed like this one https://www.infotainment.com/products/rec-gps-navigation-radio?variant=334787041&currency=USD&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2vjuBRCqARIsAJL5a-Kn7qQbM1fwKw05VM3j2c86dUpmcsOOAV5MdTaauDyjKy3Ec8jkKv4aAmsVEALw_wcB. Many people opt for a modern aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There also seems to be a large number of the mopar nav head units (REC , the one with the joy stick control) that have a defect in an embedded chip that resides on the disk player daughter board. Some sort of fracturing of the chip bed itself. One of the tell tales of this defect is that temperature extremes (sitting in the sun or first thing on a cold morning) will cause the screen to go out and most of the buttons to not function. From what I've seen having it repaired costs as much as a refurbed like this one https://www.infotainment.com/products/rec-gps-navigation-radio?variant=334787041&currency=USD&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2vjuBRCqARIsAJL5a-Kn7qQbM1fwKw05VM3j2c86dUpmcsOOAV5MdTaauDyjKy3Ec8jkKv4aAmsVEALw_wcB. Many people opt for a modern aftermarket unit.
It first happened on a pretty cold and windy day yesterday so it seems like that could be the case. I can't believe the radios are still that expensive though.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
It first happened on a pretty cold and windy day yesterday so it seems like that could be the case. I can't believe the radios are still that expensive though.
I would go aftermarket personally, as I and many other members already have; Even if you buy a refurbished factory unit, you're still paying for 12 yr old technology that's been sitting on a shelf for who knows how long.

If your going to spend that kind of money, buy a new aftermarket head unit with the latest technology that will last. Pioneer has some really nice units on the market.

Here is a thread where someone upgraded to a Pioneer head unit fairly recently;

1 - 6 of 6 Posts