Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,

My sister has decided that she wants to buy a pre-owned 2005 Jeep Commander from a local Jeep dealer.

I just want to see what problems the 2006 Jeep Commanders have, and also what to look for when buying one that is used.

The car is a base model, it has cloth interior, and the V6 engine.

It has around 22k miles on it, but the SUV is in very nice shape, there is no paintwork, and the interior is very clean.

Also should I look into getting an extended factory warrenty, or is the one from Jeep good enough?

I don't know much about jeeps, so any help would be great!

The dealer says that the lowest they can go on the car is 16,995$. Do you think I can get a better deal on this vehicle, I will get a full list of the options it has for you so that you can give me a better answer.

Thanks, and I look foward to spending some more time on this forum!

-Tom

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tom.

I bought mine last April with 22K on the odometer and paid $22K for it.

Get a carfax from the dealer first and ask to see the title. I'm willing to bet the previous owner was a rental company. Mine was.

The only issues I have had was passenger side front window regulator needed to be replaced under warrenty and I just had a shifter modual replaced. Had I gotten the shifter modual replace earlier then it would have been done under warrenty as well.

If it is the 4x4 then it has QT1 or quadratrack 1 which is a good four wheel drive system without a low gear and without locking differentials. (I think that is the terminology)

Over all I am very happy with my V6 Jeep with the only exception being gas mileage. I wish it were better than the 15 mpg average I get in mixed city/hwy driving.

Good luck and come back often!

John

·
Registered
437 Posts
TKLEI14 said:
Hey,

My sister has decided that she wants to buy a pre-owned 2005 Jeep Commander from a local Jeep dealer.

I just want to see what problems the 2005 Jeep Commanders have, and also what to look for when buying one that is used.

The car is a base model, it has cloth interior, and the V6 engine.

It has around 22k miles on it, but the SUV is in very nice shape, there is no paintwork, and the interior is very clean.

Also should I look into getting an extended factory warrenty, or is the one from Jeep good enough?

I don't know much about jeeps, so any help would be great!

The dealer says that the lowest they can go on the car is 16,995$. Do you think I can get a better deal on this vehicle, I will get a full list of the options it has for you so that you can give me a better answer.

Thanks, and I look foward to spending some more time on this forum!

-Tom
First thing you need to know is they didn't make Commanders in 2005 so that must be a 2006.
That is about as cheap of a Commander as I have heard of so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
walkjon said:
First thing you need to know is they didn't make Commanders in 2005 so that must be a 2006.
That is about as cheap of a Commander as I have heard of so far.
Thanks, you are very right, it is a 2006.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fohn_Jargo said:
Welcome to the forum Tom.

I bought mine last April with 22K on the odometer and paid $22K for it.

Get a carfax from the dealer first and ask to see the title. I'm willing to bet the previous owner was a rental company. Mine was.

The only issues I have had was passenger side front window regulator needed to be replaced under warrenty and I just had a shifter modual replaced. Had I gotten the shifter modual replace earlier then it would have been done under warrenty as well.

If it is the 4x4 then it has QT1 or quadratrack 1 which is a good four wheel drive system without a low gear and without locking differentials. (I think that is the terminology)

Over all I am very happy with my V6 Jeep with the only exception being gas mileage. I wish it were better than the 15 mpg average I get in mixed city/hwy driving.

Good luck and come back often!

John
Thanks John,

I did runt he carfax, and it came back clean, also the car was not from a rental company, it was traded in like a few hours before I looked at it and I always look in the owners manual, because people always leave some sort of bill in there, and I know it was owned by a private party, not a rental car company.

If she buys this car, I will defn be visiting these forums too, I'm usually on G35driver.com, because I have a G35, but I will be on here alot then too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Our daughter just purchased a 2006 last Saturday with a 4.7 and 14,600 miles, but her's is really loaded for $21,000. KBB listed it for around $28,000. So from KBB and comments we received on here we thought she got a pretty good price. I'd say that was a pretty decent price for the one your sister was looking at it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talked her into looking at an 07 because I would rather her not purchase a first model year vehicle.

Also in the "problem" thread it seemed like most of the cars with problems were 2006's.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have an 06 V6 65th anniversary edition. The problems I have had was the window regulator which is an easy fix, and a transmission fluid leak where the electronics go into the trany the rubber gasket was faulty. The service dept said they had seen it before and it was an easy fix as well. I dont mean to talk you out of it thats just the honest problems I have had and they are minor. It sounds like you are getting a pretty good deal on that XK, go for it I love mine.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I have an 06 with no problems, if the price is right do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heres the thing, after doing some research I found that she could get an 07 with anywhere from 8-15k miles on it for about 1,000-1,500$ more than the 06.

I think its better to have a car that is a year newer, with almost half the miles for another 1,000-1,500$.

·
Administrator
15,199 Posts
Yeah. I think it's one gallon larger.

·
Administrator
15,199 Posts
Just looked it up. 2006 has 20.5 gallon and 2007 and 2008 have 21.1 gallon tanks. Less than a gallon diff.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I love my 06. No Problems at all. I got mine at 22k and I've had it a year. The 07 for 1000-1500 sounds good but I guess it depends on how she is going to pay for it and how long she plans on keeping it. Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
TKLEI14 said:
Thanks John,

I did runt he carfax, and it came back clean, also the car was not from a rental company, it was traded in like a few hours before I looked at it and I always look in the owners manual, because people always leave some sort of bill in there, and I know it was owned by a private party, not a rental car company.

If she buys this car, I will defn be visiting these forums too, I'm usually on G35driver.com, because I have a G35, but I will be on here alot then too.
I was on that forum too. I was shredX. I had an 06 G35x. There are some good people here. You should feel right at home.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts