Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a vast amount of information here reguarding wheels tires lifts. I have an 06 that I want to put bigger rims on and save my stock wheels for winter use. I was gonna go big like 20s for the show look but a off-road commander just looks more like my alley. I still want a larger rim though for added clearance when I get to go off-road. I was looking at 18 and 20" rims. I know Ill need a lift to get the 20s on it with a decent set of AT tires but what about the 18s? I guess what im looking for advice on is;
18 or 20"?
what size lift should I get?
spacers or suspension?
will/should I run wheel spacers?

any ideas here are a great help, I plan to get what I need this winter and hope to have it ready by spring. I am good with wheels tires on small cars but when it comes to off-road wheel/tires im horrible at picking (my last off-road rig had an amazing stock setup that didnt require much aftermarket to get a bigger wheel/tire on)

Thanks!

Goldie

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would lift it, and run bigger tires--I really like 17" rims for off-roading since imo they give a decent rim size but let you keep enough sidewall to be useful. The extra clearance off road doesn't come from bigger rims, but taller tires (stock is ~29.5" tall).

My xk has a ~2.5" lift and is running newer wrangler(jk) rubicon wheels and tires--they work out to about 32", and look great. However to fit them I do have 1.5" spidertrax spacers and I believe they are NOT tpms compatible.

So answers:
Size of lift? at least 2", 4" looks awesome but sets you back more $$
Spacers or suspension? depends on your budget and what you like more. You can combine different types.
Wheel Spacers? Totally depends on the rims you use, some will require, some won't.

·
1,993 Posts
17's are a great choice for the sidewall aspect of off road tires. With a 2" lift you can run 33" tires without spacers just don't go more then 10.5" wide and you will have to bend or cut some wheel well maybe. To concentrate on rim size for fitting go with the overall size of 33x10.5 with out spacers. Put spacers on and will you can go wider. If your willing to put up with some rubbing and your willing to bend the pinch weld over and re-mold the wheel well you can go a little bigger but I don't think its necessary. Anything over 34" I think you will have lots of issues but if you do bigger and work all the issues please post up. Use a tire calculator use the search button and read the sigs of members to see what there running good luck

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well that helps alot. ill get the lift squared away this winter, im getting a slightly bigger tire size anyhow so that will be a good start. ive found some good deals on lift kits with everything i need...and for a decent price. maybe in the spring ill look into wheels. I like the stock ones i got i just want a matte black finish.

·
Registered
152 Posts
rattle cans are cheap and can work wonders, along with green scotch bright pads for scuffing things up (better adhesion).

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
17's are a great choice for the sidewall aspect of off road tires. With a 2" lift you can run 33" tires without spacers just don't go more then 10.5" wide and you will have to bend or cut some wheel well maybe. To concentrate on rim size for fitting go with the overall size of 33x10.5 with out spacers. Put spacers on and will you can go wider. If your willing to put up with some rubbing and your willing to bend the pinch weld over and re-mold the wheel well you can go a little bigger but I don't think its necessary. Anything over 34" I think you will have lots of issues but if you do bigger and work all the issues please post up. Use a tire calculator use the search button and read the sigs of members to see what there running good luck
I believe this might have been a typo. With a 2 inch lift you can only fit 32's and even with that size, modification of the inner plastic fenderwell and pinch weld is required.

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
1,993 Posts
I believe this might have been a typo. With a 2 inch lift you can only fit 32's and even with that size, modification of the inner plastic fenderwell and pinch weld is required.
I meant 33" I'm running 32" with no problems except at full lock and I didn't touch my pinch weld or the wheel wells up front. I know guys here running bigger then 33" tires with 1.5" spacers and after the pinch weld mod and reshaping the wheel well there not having any issues.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well for now im running 245/70's since the didnt make a decent tire I could find in a 245/75. im happy for now till I can get a lift and bigger tires then.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
that's a good size. i have a 2" lift and i have 245/75 BFG A/Ts on my commander and I like it. i was out with my friend in his tacoma and whenever he went over something big and it flexed, he'd rub like mad on the inside of his tire well. i think with anything bigger than what i have I'd run into the same problem and lose flexability on the front and the rear. i also have 1.25" spacers.

·
Registered
266 Posts
start off right

if you save up than go with a 4" lift especially if you are goint to be doing any offroading.
i have the 2" and this system puts a strain on your suspention ( the controll arms ) the 4" does not it actually keeps it level ans as far as tires go if you go with anything other than the17's you will not have enough tire to air down and give you grip on rocks.
the same goes for the with of rim and this come from two blown front tires,
the 17 x 8.5 rim keeps the lip of rim to close to the outer edge and can couse it to pinch the side wall giving you a nice slice .
so the optimall size wheel and tier inmy opinion would be 17 x 8 with 4.5 backspacing 0" offset and 265 x 70 tires.

you will still need to bend pinch weld and if you go with the 4" lift you can than go into the 17 x 8.5 and a 285 x 70 x 17 tire

·
Registered
60 Posts
08 Hemi Limited---can I run Michelin LTX A/T 2 P265/65R-17 2 2" lift without fear of tire damage. There seems to be adequate fender space but the front wheel is about 1/4" from the upper ball joint stud. Discount Tire guy sez it's OK as the tire and mount move together. Anyone cut the ball joint stud shorter?

BCB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts