Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '08 has the 245/60-18 tires, stock Forteras. The jeep stays on-road all the time except for the occasional camping trips but I want something with a more aggressive tread for both looks and rain / snow. I was looking at the Hankook ATMs and Firestone A/Ts but they are not available in the stock size. Question #1: How much higher can I go in tire size to open my options for tires?

Question #2: Any suggestions on what tires work well?

Thanks in advance!:icon_confused:

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Question #2: Any suggestions on what tires work well?

Thanks in advance!:icon_confused:[/QUOTE]

Take a good look at Goodyear Silent Armor. They look awesome and have excellent performance, although they are a little louder on the highway. I have them and would recommend them to anyone. I have 17's, so I went 1 size larger - P25565R17 - no rub issues whatsoever.:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've been very pleased with the year I've had my 275/60/R17 Hankook Ventus RH06 tires. M+S rated, 12.5/32nds tread depth, aggressive (IMO) pattern, and virtually silent on pavement. Have handled great in the rain, snow, and hot summer. A year's use (~10K) has only cost me less than 2/32nds of tread, setting me up to surpass the 50K treadwear warranty.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Not personally. I've only run these and the stock Fortera's, but it looks like the ATM has some neat (and advantageous) attributes plus a little extra tread depth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been very pleased with the year I've had my 275/60/R17 Hankook Ventus RH06 tires. M+S rated, 12.5/32nds tread depth, aggressive (IMO) pattern, and virtually silent on pavement. Have handled great in the rain, snow, and hot summer. A year's use (~10K) has only cost me less than 2/32nds of tread, setting me up to surpass the 50K treadwear warranty.

do you have a lift on your xk or is it stock?

·
Registered
126 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Looks good Kansas. I like the stance.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Looks good Kansas. I like the stance.
Thanks! Should have come from the factory that way, but then I wouldn't have been able to play in my garage as much!

do you have a lift on your xk or is it stock?
In this pic the Jeep has a Rough Country 2" lift and 1.5" wheel spacers. Been a great combo.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Toyo Open Country's are what I like. Quite on the road, does great off road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In this pic the Jeep has a Rough Country 2" lift and 1.5" wheel spacers. Been a great combo.
nice! looks good man. i was looking at getting new tires on stock rims for now, but i may get either the rc or rr lift first. i'd like to stay away from spacers when i do get tires or tires/wheels. any suggestions on what i should do first?

·
Registered
809 Posts
nice! looks good man. i was looking at getting new tires on stock rims for now, but i may get either the rc or rr lift first. i'd like to stay away from spacers when i do get tires or tires/wheels. any suggestions on what i should do first?
If you do the lift first it will open up the possibilities for different tire sizes, and the Jeep doesn't look bad lifted on stock wheels/tires in the meantime. I kept the stock rims because I think it makes the Jeep look more "stock," plus it cut the cost by at least half, which left that much more money for other upgrades. I would love to not have had to get spacers, but they really improve the stance, IMO, and helped a little bit with body roll. But mostly they just look better. In the end I wound up using 1.25" spacers that push the wheels out just enough to improve the stance, but not stick way out from the body. Hope that helps! And don't forget to take before/during/after pics of your mods!

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you do the lift first it will open up the possibilities for different tire sizes, and the Jeep doesn't look bad lifted on stock wheels/tires in the meantime. I kept the stock rims because I think it makes the Jeep look more "stock," plus it cut the cost by at least half, which left that much more money for other upgrades. I would love to not have had to get spacers, but they really improve the stance, IMO, and helped a little bit with body roll. But mostly they just look better. In the end I wound up using 1.25" spacers that push the wheels out just enough to improve the stance, but not stick way out from the body. Hope that helps! And don't forget to take before/during/after pics of your mods!
thanks for the reply and the advice! that's pretty much what i was thinking about doing. doing the lift first, then later adding rims and tires.

and sorry for hijacking this thread but if i do the lift and keep the stock rims on for now, what tires (sizes) can i fit on the stock wheel (wider and a little more meaty)? thanks again in advance.

·
Registered
809 Posts
There's kind of an inverse relationship between height and width as far as the tires go. You're bound by the rim width, fenders, and UCA bolt. When shopping for your tires look on the manufacturer page and it will tell you what sizes will work with which rim widths. My tires are nearly stock height and at 275mm wide leave only a little room before the UCA bolt (without wheel spacers). I would guestimate that a 285 would be the widest you could go without trimming the bolt and/or adding wheel spacers. Adding wheel spacers is going to start pushing you towards the fenders during a turn, though, too. Once you start looking at taller tires the width will have to come down a bit, unless you want to trim some things again. I think 255/70/17 is the max without wheel spacers and no rubbing issues and 265/70/17 with spacers and a little contact. (All assuming a 2"+ lift.) Anyways, hope that helps.

·
Registered
343 Posts
That's strange. Your tires are the same as mine, only a different size. I have the Hankook ventus st rh06 too, but in 265/35/r22. I thought these tires were "high performance" How do they handle in the snow/mud?

·
Registered
809 Posts
That's strange. Your tires are the same as mine, only a different size. I have the Hankook ventus st rh06 too, but in 265/35/r22. I thought these tires were "high performance" How do they handle in the snow/mud?
Awesome. Loved crawling through the snow last winter - rescued my father-in-law's Ford Freestyle at least three times, twice on Christmas Day! With tread that deep I bet a smiley face pattern would still do well, but I'm glad Hankook chose the design they did. Really looking forward to winter again, though. We're driving out for a Jan. ski trip in Breckenridge and the place we rented said you have to have 4wd to make it up to the house in the snow. Will finally get to play on some real proving grounds!

·
Registered
71 Posts
There's kind of an inverse relationship between height and width as far as the tires go. You're bound by the rim width, fenders, and UCA bolt. When shopping for your tires look on the manufacturer page and it will tell you what sizes will work with which rim widths. My tires are nearly stock height and at 275mm wide leave only a little room before the UCA bolt (without wheel spacers). I would guestimate that a 285 would be the widest you could go without trimming the bolt and/or adding wheel spacers. Adding wheel spacers is going to start pushing you towards the fenders during a turn, though, too. Once you start looking at taller tires the width will have to come down a bit, unless you want to trim some things again. I think 255/70/17 is the max without wheel spacers and no rubbing issues and 265/70/17 with spacers and a little contact. (All assuming a 2"+ lift.) Anyways, hope that helps.
Excellent summing up.:banana_hitit:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts