Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2009 Jeep Commander limited with 5.7 HEMI 2" OME lift. CAI and some other odds and ends.
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, wasn't sure which section to post this in but it would seem my hydraulic fan is on its way out. As confirmed by my mechanic the fan does not spin up to proper speed when commanded to. The dealer and rockauto are both OOS. Does anyone know where I can source a new unit? I'm in Ny, LongIsland to be specific.

· Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,372 Posts
There is always the bone yards. Did you search the internet and parts stores?
Big Blue knows a lot of parts places for Commanders. He will be along shortly.

Reactions: jklightner

· Registered
2009 Jeep Commander limited with 5.7 HEMI 2" OME lift. CAI and some other odds and ends.
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked online and didnt come upwith anything helpful.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a hydraulic fan that runs off the power steering pump. I'm not sure if you can reroute this lines and wire in an electric unit. But I will think about it.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very informative thank you. I actually have a large electric fan from my zj project. I'll definitely research this.

· Registered
2008 Commander Limited 5.7 QT2
44 Posts
Hello all, wasn't sure which section to post this in but it would seem my hydraulic fan is on its way out. As confirmed by my mechanic the fan does not spin up to proper speed when commanded to. The dealer and rockauto are both OOS. Does anyone know where I can source a new unit? I'm in Ny, LongIsland to be specific.
Good luck. I've seen these units priced at over 2k on the interwebs. You would definitely need to keep an eye on a yard that updates its vehicle lists and swoop in as soon as possible to pull a unit out of a junker. Most of the time I go to the yard, if it wasn't a front hit it's already gone.
Its a bit of a drive but check Harrys-U-Pull It in PA. Im in NJ so its about 1:30 to 2 hrs for me depending on the yard.

· Registered
2008 Commander Limited 5.7 QT2
44 Posts
Also...this is a hail mary, but try a flush with the absolutely correct fluid, which IS NOT regular power steering fluid. There are many discussions here and across the web, but the improper viscosity can cause the hydraulics fan to underperform. These units fail, but usually due to out-of-balance conditions.

· Administrator
2008 XK Sport 4.7L V-8 QT-II 4WD 104,xxx Miles
8,736 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ouch 378 used. I'm really looking at possibly doing the electric fan conversion at this point. Thank you very much though.

Reactions: Big Blue

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Btw why is there a sticker for 3.7 liter emissions control under the hood of my 5.7 hemi. Maybe the hood was changed.

· Administrator
2008 XK Sport 4.7L V-8 QT-II 4WD 104,xxx Miles
8,736 Posts
Ouch 378 used. I'm really looking at possibly doing the electric fan conversion at this point. Thank you very much though.
Hard to find parts are going to be expensive;

Supply & demand.

It is e-bay, so, you could try just making the guy an offer & see if he has any wiggle room on his price, or, not.

You said you couldn't find one, so, I thought this would help you, but, no worries.

Keep us posted with your progress on the electric fan conversion.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the odd thing is the fan turns on when the temp hits 240, so it works on high but not on low.

· Registered
2006 5.7 4x4 Limited
72 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts