Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys disabled this system? I currently use tow/haul mode to disable it and seems smoother to drive.

Looking for Pro's and Con's

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Using the "Tow Haul" button not only disables the MDS - it also keeps the trans in one lower gear. The lower gear makes it seem more responsive. I call it my "Sport" mode. That is probably why it seems smoother to you.

·
Registered
480 Posts
When I'm driving, I can feel the MDS kick on and off; I've also got a pretty loud exhaust, so the change in exhaust note is another good signal. The only reason I keep mine on is for the slightly improved fuel economy, as dealing with the slightly less smooth power delivery when cruising does get annoying after awhile.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used my SuperChips to entirely disable MDS, and reap the performance benefits of the 91 tune and shift point enhancements.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Have any of you guys disabled this system? I currently use tow/haul mode to disable it and seems smoother to drive.

Looking for Pro's and Con's
Have you tried bumping the sifter (while in D) to the left once? The dash should now say "5" instead of "D" this disables the MDS but doesn't change the shift points (as far as I can tell). I do this when I'm on a hilly roads to keep from droping in and out of "ECO".

·
Registered
480 Posts
Have you tried bumping the sifter (while in D) to the left once? The dash should now say "5" instead of "D" this disables the MDS but doesn't change the shift points (as far as I can tell). I do this when I'm on a hilly roads to keep from droping in and out of "ECO".
Maybe later models are programmed differently, but on my 06 there's no 5 setting. Bumping to the left once drops me down to 4, locking out overdrive, though I haven't seen whether it disables MDS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have been looking into the Superchips option.

The hemi truck guys talked about throttle surging and the test to see if it was MDS or not was to hit the Tow/Haul button. Disables MDS and yes changes the shift points and no OD. The Commander only gets driven around town under 50mph so not worried about economy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After replacement the front driveshaft, rear CV joint....the jerkyness is less but we still use the tow/haul button around town and use overdrive for highway use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts