Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New Owner Here!

Just what weight and brand oil is everyone using in the HEMI?
5-20 or 5-30?

Thanks,

Great Forum!

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
You MUST use 5W-20 in the HEMI. This weight is required for the MDS to work. I am using Castrol Full Synthetic.

·
Registered
148 Posts
5253 is absolutely correct, if you don't use 5w-20 you will ruin your engine. I use Mobile 1, love it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
curleycommander said:
5253 is absolutely correct, if you don't use 5w-20 you will ruin your engine. I use Mobile 1, love it.

I wouldn't say ruin your engine, only the MDS won't be working right.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK,

I got it and just read the manual.

Interesting that the engine would use such light weight oil.

Thanks,

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've heard stories of the Commander stalling with the MDS and wrong oil.

·
Registered
230 Posts
quick and interesting note - when I had the oil changed the first time (at a dealer btw), I noticed an immediate drop in fuel economy, vehicle ran and felt fine, but fuel eco. dropped to an appalling 12.7 mpg. After running maybe 3500 miles or so, we had it changed at my original dealer - and stressed that it have 5W20 (I was getting on their nerves I think) - my Hemi is back to providing about 14 mpg.

·
Registered
18 Posts
mds will not operate with anything more than the 20 weight oil.

the motor will be fine with anything else tho. you need to make sure the shop that does that oil change will use the correct oil.

i use amsoil or mobil one.

steve

·
Registered
258 Posts
man, I'm paranoid now that my dealer may not put the right stuff in...even if by accident. I'll pay more attention on the next round. My mpg has been fine so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mobil 1 5W20 has been the oil for me. I buy the 5 qt bulk at Wal-Mart and supplement the balance needed for the oil change with the one quart bottles for an economical oil change.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wobhead....fellow hotlantian here.

How often do you change your Mobile 1...3 or 6 months? I'm currently having the dealer do it with what ever they put in...Oil changes are included in the lease so I don't have to fork out the cash, which is nice.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mobil 1 from Walmart is what I use. The shop that does my oil changes told me that he can't buy Mobil 1 from his supplier for what Walmart sells it for. This also insures that the right weight oil is being used.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Wow. Mobile1 5W20. I can't believe so many of us run it! I change it and the filter every 5k.

·
Registered
23 Posts
2 questions:

1) Why do you guys use a dealer to do the oil change?? I don't trust them for anything that's non-warranty, and you can hover over an oil change shop to make sure they're doing it right, where as the dealer probably won't let you watch.

2) Would you guys recommend the first oil change occur earlier, like 1000 miles or so?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Scott in Houston said:
2 questions:

1) Why do you guys use a dealer to do the oil change?? I don't trust them for anything that's non-warranty, and you can hover over an oil change shop to make sure they're doing it right, where as the dealer probably won't let you watch.

2) Would you guys recommend the first oil change occur earlier, like 1000 miles or so?
1) Personally, I figured if someone else was going to work on the engine for anything and a problem came up, they'd get me caught in the blame game hotbox. If I only take it to the dealership and a problem comes up, they can't blame it on anyone else.

2) Depends. How long was it sitting on the lot before you bought it? In any event I wouldn't go any longer than 3k miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Morgan said:
1) Personally, I figured if someone else was going to work on the engine for anything and a problem came up, they'd get me caught in the blame game hotbox. If I only take it to the dealership and a problem comes up, they can't blame it on anyone else.

2) Depends. How long was it sitting on the lot before you bought it? In any event I wouldn't go any longer than 3k miles.

1) Good point. I hadn't considered that. I just don't see anything going wrong w/ a simple oil change if I'm watching 'em. Also, when it comes to warranty work, they have to prove that something else caused it with hard evidence. Generally speaking, never happens. :)

2) I have no idea how long it was, but guessing not too terribly long. I'll likely change it at 1500 miles just to be safe. It's cheap 'insurance'.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Scott - Greetings from a fellow Houston Overland owner. I changed my oil to Mobil 1 5W 20 and M1-210 filter at 1000 miles. As you said, cheap insurance.
What color is your Commander? I'll keep an eye out and wave -

Rich
2008 Overland Light Graystone

1 - 20 of 54 Posts