Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know of a company selling supercharger kits for the Commander Hemi? I see them for the other Hemi's just not the Commander specifically. Thanks

-mike

·
Registered
107 Posts
No kits available yet, however they're available for other Hemi's so one would assume it's only a matter of time for a direct fit kit.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kind of what I was thinking, I just prefer something specific. I imagine its a matter of time before somebody comes up with one. I wonder what that that would do to the mileage, not that its a concern but would that decrease it much?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I installed a Whipple Twin Screw Supercharger on my 2001 Tahoe, 5.3L. My dad is still driving it today.

I didn't notice a huge decrease in mileage, and in theory, the engine is more efficient.

But, the Supercharger did require PREMIUM UNLEADED. So that could be an consideration for expenses.

It was awesome though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I run a Whipple blower on my Lightning at around 14.5 pounds of boost and couldn't be happier with the performance, we could only hope for a kit to be made available.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The problem with hemi superchargers is getting by the factory computer. The only kits that I have seen use seperate injectors the spray fuel into the front of the intake behind the TB and use a stand alone computer to control it. The problem with modern intake manifolds is they are designed to flow air not fuel and air so the result are questionable. Most of the ones I have seen on dyno's gave disapointing results. Plus the kits cost about 7k not cheap and I don't think they work right anyway

·
Registered
107 Posts
I somewhat agree, a blower kit alone isn't going to cut it, you need additional parts to support it including injectors, pumps, maf, set of plugs and most important a tune designed to make it all work together. I would think most manfacturers would build a kit with a boost a pump or fuel pumps and keep within the stock injecters range or provide a new set, most important a chip or tuner with a new tune. I would think a 6-7 pound kit would give and additional 70hp.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You could definitely, unquestionably feel the difference on the Tahoe. It also ran a reasonably strong dyno, but nothing crazy, and I have forgotten the actual numbers. Also used a Hypertech power programmer, and running gibson headers and exhaust, so, it was part of an overall system. Ran it with all the stock injectors, MAF's, etc. since it wasn't a dragstrip vehicle, or destined for the racetrack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts