Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've mentioned I just picked this beast up... and was reluctant as I was experiencing some surging under acceleration when getting onto freeways during test drive, then at every stop as I was trying to figure it out. Luckily a buddy of mine has an 08 WK SRT8 that had similar issues he had chased down.

As crazy as it may sound the problem has fully gone away with new tires. I first tried turning off stability control and was about to change transfer case fluid to the Mopar original (just in case PO had it changed to ATF). The tires that were on the Jeep clearly hadn't been rotated regularly as the front were almost at the wear mark and the rear had more than double the tread left.

Though my truck is not a QDII (and clearly the SRT8 isn't) there must be enough intelligence in the QTII system to see the (minimal) difference in tire sizes and ultimately the difference in expected speeds based on number of revs of the wheel.

I did a quick search for the same symptom here and elsewhere and never found this as a possible solution. The $800 I was spending in tires anyway was a much cheaper solution than consulting a transmission shop or worse a stealer to diagnose my transmission or transfer case issue ($$$$$$).

·
Registered
9 Posts
As I've mentioned I just picked this beast up... and was reluctant as I was experiencing some surging under acceleration when getting onto freeways during test drive, then at every stop as I was trying to figure it out. Luckily a buddy of mine has an 08 WK SRT8 that had similar issues he had chased down.

As crazy as it may sound the problem has fully gone away with new tires. I first tried turning off stability control and was about to change transfer case fluid to the Mopar original (just in case PO had it changed to ATF). The tires that were on the Jeep clearly hadn't been rotated regularly as the front were almost at the wear mark and the rear had more than double the tread left.

Though my truck is not a QDII (and clearly the SRT8 isn't) there must be enough intelligence in the QTII system to see the (minimal) difference in tire sizes and ultimately the difference in expected speeds based on number of revs of the wheel.

I did a quick search for the same symptom here and elsewhere and never found this as a possible solution. The $800 I was spending in tires anyway was a much cheaper solution than consulting a transmission shop or worse a stealer to diagnose my transmission or transfer case issue ($$$$$$).
I had a similar issue with my Hemi Commander, but it was resolved with a new set of spark plugs. I was shocked with how much better it ran after the spark plugs were replaced. I had just purchased the vehicle, so I am not sure how long the old ones were in there, but the gap was over .080" when I removed them.

I am glad you figured out your issue and shared the solution with everyone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts