Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '08 Overland and an '09 Ram 4x4 with the Hemi as well. My truck is quite noisy..the noise it makes sounds closer to an exhaust leak to me and after watching some videos on Youtube, I've heard different versions of the infamous tick. Aside from being annoying, I'm not really worried about it. It still has great oil pressure and pulls like a beast.

After popping the hood on the Jeep, however, I noticed a few things. First, it's very hot under the hood, more so than under my truck. Is this because it's a lot more cramped under the Jeep's hood and there's less room for the heat to escape? Temp runs fine even when pulling my boat. Second, I was charging the ac-which didn't work-and heard a different ticking noise from what my truck makes. It wasn't quite a tick but definitely wasn't a knock. Is this paranoia on my part or should I dig a little deeper into the noise?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Engine heat under the hood, if you're water temp reads normal, I would NOT be too concerned. Yes, I suspect how crowded it is under the hood is the cause for the additional heat under the hood. More room means air circulation while moving and cooling down of the engine compartment. The splash guard on the bottom of the Commander probably reduces that air circulation to cool off the engine bay as well.

Engine tic's are pretty difficult to, if you can hear it in the passenger compartment with the windows closed, then likely it is normal.

Its hard to diagnose the source, if all you've got to go on, it tics like most Hemi's but a little louder.

And yes, charging AC with just a can and tube from the store is a risk. There are a dozen things that can go wrong to make the AC NOT work, only one of them is a slow leak that a blind charging without the right tools might "improve" NOT really fix. You need to put a set of gauges on the AC system and read the pressures, to start to understand what is going on in the AC system.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts