Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this covers all vehicle classes or just the car lineup. It sure sounds like all vehicle classes.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/22/chryslers-future-does-not-come-with-a-hemi-powertrain/

Personally, if they are discontinuing the HEMI for the WK/XK replacement then they need to produced a diesel capable of producing the same or better 0-60 times, horsepower, and torque. The V6 is not going to cut it as a top engine choice.

Also does this mean the Challenger SRT-8 is going to be a limited life expectancy vehicle worth a ton a couple of decades from now?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Not surprising due to low sales, high gas prices, new emissions regs and a somewhat dated design. I'd much rather see a diesel option come out that's more efficient and has more useful power at the low end where its needed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Chevy is in the same dilemma with the new Camaro and Corvette - they have already killed the V8 in the next gen Cadillac's - mainly due to emission regs.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
not if tuned correctly. turbos are very efficient, make great power and are pretty reliable if they are not messed with by someone who does not know what they are doing.

i've had 2 saab 900 turbos. both had well over 100K miles on them. no problems with the motor.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Here are some excerpts from one of the articles I read.....

The cancellation of a successor to the Northstar engine family was "the direct result of the 35-mpg fuel legislation," Wagoner told Car and Driver magazine.

He said when the project was first started, his company had "more optimism" about the future of V8 engines and the effect of emissions and fuel economy regulations. As it turns out, GM's wishful thinking wasn't enough to prevent controversial law from claiming one of its first victims.

The move also raises questions about the future of fuel-thirsty engines in general — not only at GM but at other automakers as well. Ford, for examples, is putting an increased focus on turbocharged V6s. Even BMW is moving to turbocharging as a means of decreasing displacement. Some American luxury cars are already debuting as V6-only — take the new Cadillac CTS and Lincoln MKS as examples.

Because CAFE standards look at the overall fuel economy average for an entire company, low-volume high-performance vehicles are unlikely to be affected by CAFE. As for everything else, we could be witnessing the beginning of a trend away from large engines all together.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Damn Liberals.......

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm waiting for the "V8 Tax" to hit!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I believe it is here already - the "Gas Guzzler Tax" applied to cars earning less than 21.5mpg combined - currently, SUV's are exempt - currently

·
Registered
230 Posts
that is true as well - new sales applied to new vehicles. It is a sliding scale, cars that get 21.4 mpg are slapped with a $1000 tax, cars with the lowest ratings, think 12mpg Lamborghini's are slapped with a $7000 tax

1 - 20 of 21 Posts