Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading around the forum and haven't found much .. Has anyone upgraded there hemi? Besides cold air and exhaust .. I've been looking at injectors throttle bodies etc.. Is love to see some builds and upgrades .. Right now I've been looking at changing the basics injectors throttle body thermostat but I came across a vortech kit for the charger that I'm almost positive will work .. And I'm curious as to anyone else who has went this route without custom tuning and what has been done

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I'm going to do a ultra cheap homemade intake and probably a cat back exhaust and have been kicking the thought around about some big coils but that's about it for my Commander but I would be interested in reading about what others have done if they contribute to this thread.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Most of what I have heard and read about on this forum for upgrading any Commander (Hemi-powered or otherwise) revolves around cold air intakes, exhaust upgrades and tuners/programmers to program a performance tune into the engines computer. Once in a blue moon I hear of someone attempting a full intake swap with a 6.1L SRT Hemi intake - but they are few and far between.

There are even a couple of brave souls who have done full blown engine swaps - but it's a lengthy and very costly process.

You can upgrade your Hemi - it all really boils down to 2 things;

What is the main purpose/driving application you have in mind for your Commander...........AND;

How much money are you really willing to spend?

Most people don't go beyond cold-air intakes, cat-back exhausts and programmers - because it just becomes too expensive once you go beyond that.

But if you have the budget - anything is possible.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most of what I have heard and read about on this forum for upgrading any Commander (Hemi-powered or otherwise) revolves around cold air intakes, exhaust upgrades and tuners/programmers to program a performance tune into the engines computer. Once in a blue moon I hear of someone attempting a full intake swap with a 6.1L SRT Hemi intake - but they are few and far between.

There are even a couple of brave souls who have done full blown engine swaps - but it's a lengthy and very costly process.

You can upgrade your Hemi - it all really boils down to 2 things;

What is the main purpose/driving application you have in mind for your Commander...........AND;

How much money are you really willing to spend?

Most people don't go beyond cold-air intakes, cat-back exhausts and programmers - because it just becomes too expensive once you go beyond that.

But if you have the budget - anything is possible.
Yes ice noticed the same few upgrades as well .. I've found several vortech kits pretty cheap made for the charger .. But from what I'm looking at It should have 0 issue bolting up to the commander.. I was just curious if anyone has used any thing similar or went a little further then the exhaust cold air etc..

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Yes ice noticed the same few upgrades as well .. I've found several vortech kits pretty cheap made for the charger .. But from what I'm looking at It should have 0 issue bolting up to the commander.. I was just curious if anyone has used any thing similar or went a little further then the exhaust cold air etc..
This is the first I've heard about these Vortech Kits and anybody considering trying to bolt them up on a Commander;

Maybe you can be the Guinea Pig Timmy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the first I've heard about these Vortech Kits and anybody considering trying to bolt them up on a Commander;

Maybe you can be the Guinea Pig Timmy.
They are all over online .. Just look up vortech supercharger 2006 dodge charger 5.7

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
They are all over online .. Just look up vortech supercharger 2006 dodge charger 5.7
Let me re-phrase because I don't think what I was trying to say came out right;

I am very familiar with Vortech Superchargers;

I have never heard of anybody talking about putting one on a Commander until now;

And like I said, you can be the guinea pig and be the first one on the forum to try it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me re-phrase because I don't think what I was trying to say came out right;

I am very familiar with Vortech Superchargers;

I have never heard of anybody talking about putting one on a Commander until now;

And like I said, you can be the guinea pig and be the first one on the forum to try it.
Well I have found a couple under the 3 grand mark so if nothing unforseen happens between now and tax return I just may .. For now I'm just focusing mainly on getting the wheels swapped .. Lights changed my exhaust and a few other small things

·
Registered
480 Posts
Honestly, I think you're better off building the internals first before throwing on a supercharger. Right now there isn't much more to be had from a stock Hemi, and they're not really built to take much boost. I've read that going over 8 psi tends to start breaking things. I've also heard that it's difficult to fit a supercharger on Jeep Hemis, but that could be a lie seeing as they seem to fit them on LX Hemis.

The most restrictive components of the Hemi, as far as I know, are the headers. They're extremely restrictive, which is why there aren't many gains to be had from a CAI and catback exhaust to begin with. I know people have been working on fitting headers from SRT Jeeps into their systems, and the increased airflow along with a proper tune could net you some nice gains.

You could also look at a cam swap. The cam in the Hemi now is a nice smooth cam, but doesn't make great power. You have some options for bigger cams, either Mopar or aftermarket. The cam out of an SRT Hemi will fit and net you a little power, but there are plenty of other options out there. If you're looking for a serious beast, you could step all the way up to a Comp 273.

As far as bolt ons go, the only place you'll see some gains is with a CAI. Most of them are controversial as far as power gains, but two I've heard consistent good things about are the AFE and Volant intakes. The exhaust is already overly restrictive because of the headers, so you won't see much gain from an aftermarket catback.

If you want some more throttle response, and possibly some mileage or horsepower gains, you can port and polish your throttle body. There's plenty of metal to work with, and you can easily get to an 84mm opening. I made a thread following my personal approach to porting and polishing, and really it's a pretty straightforward job.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honestly, I think you're better off building the internals first before throwing on a supercharger. Right now there isn't much more to be had from a stock Hemi, and they're not really built to take much boost. I've read that going over 8 psi tends to start breaking things. I've also heard that it's difficult to fit a supercharger on Jeep Hemis, but that could be a lie seeing as they seem to fit them on LX Hemis.

The most restrictive components of the Hemi, as far as I know, are the headers. They're extremely restrictive, which is why there aren't many gains to be had from a CAI and catback exhaust to begin with. I know people have been working on fitting headers from SRT Jeeps into their systems, and the increased airflow along with a proper tune could net you some nice gains.

You could also look at a cam swap. The cam in the Hemi now is a nice smooth cam, but doesn't make great power. You have some options for bigger cams, either Mopar or aftermarket. The cam out of an SRT Hemi will fit and net you a little power, but there are plenty of other options out there. If you're looking for a serious beast, you could step all the way up to a Comp 273.

As far as bolt ons go, the only place you'll see some gains is with a CAI. Most of them are controversial as far as power gains, but two I've heard consistent good things about are the AFE and Volant intakes. The exhaust is already overly restrictive because of the headers, so you won't see much gain from an aftermarket catback.

If you want some more throttle response, and possibly some mileage or horsepower gains, you can port and polish your throttle body. There's plenty of metal to work with, and you can easily get to an 84mm opening. I made a thread following my personal approach to porting and polishing, and really it's a pretty straightforward job.
I've looked at exhaust and the vortech kit with the the elderbrock direct for super intake and for now that looks like the best bet

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I've looked at exhaust and the vortech kit with the the elderbrock direct for super intake and for now that looks like the best bet
Well Timmy, I look forward to reading about - and seeing your Vortech upgrade project, whenever you decide to take the plunge.

I hope you have good results.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't think that supercharging should be a consideration until you have a good exhaust system in place. When owners of Ford Thunderbird Supercoupes starting experimenting with larger superchargers, they started lifting heads of the blocks and blowing head gaskets. The factory exhaust systems were too restrictive to allow the additional exhaust to evacuate.

The 5.7 Hemi log manifolds are total garbage and hurt power on a stock block, much less a major power adder. Edelbrock created headers for the Ram's when the hemi first came out. The dyno'd almost 30 hp in the mid range over stock with just the headers. I have a set of Heddman's that I am going to mod to go into mine. They look very close to the stock manifolds in layout and shouldn't need much. Any gains from a catback would be amplified with real manifolds replacing the logs.

You woulds also have to worry about the driveling. Cars don't have to worry about putting the power through a transfer case or a tiny 8.25 axle.

I would go the naturally aspirated route before considering an sc. From published dyno numbers, headers 12-15 hp peak gain with 25-30hp midrange, catback an additional 12-15 hp and tq, BBK 85mm TB 12-24 hp, under drive crank 12 hp and 9 tq, add a Trinity T100 to the mix for an additional hefty gain, especially and low to mid range and mid range to top end power. They can really flatten out the hp and tq curves.

I have the headers but have yet to install them. Same for the under drive damper. I installed an AFE cold air and BBK 85mm throttle body. Very noticeable power gains. I also have the T1000 and installed an 89 octane tune during the summer (the lowest setting). Again a very noticeable performance improvement.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you really wanted to make more power, you could step up to a set of ported heads and a camshaft. When combined with the above add ons, I have no doubt that you would exceed 450 hp with a custom tune. Be careful when trying to swap intakes, they are not interchangeable. The later eagle and srt intakes have larger square ports designed to match the configuration of the later heads. Most of the lx community noticed very little to no gains swapping them onto a 5.7. The early engines don't have enough cubes or cylinder head airflow to benefit from the intake.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've been reading around the forum and haven't found much .. Has anyone upgraded there hemi? Besides cold air and exhaust .. I've been looking at injectors throttle bodies etc.. Is love to see some builds and upgrades .. Right now I've been looking at changing the basics injectors throttle body thermostat but I came across a vortech kit for the charger that I'm almost positive will work .. And I'm curious as to anyone else who has went this route without custom tuning and what has been done
Whew! Glad I got here in time! Don't do it. The SC will bolt right up to your engine, but you'll be relocating the battery. All Air intakes on all LX's go to the driver's side, While the Jeeps go to the passenger side. If you can find a supercharger for the 5.7 Jeep GC, it will bolt right up. in fact, almost all jeep GC parts fit perfect on our commanders, with the exception of odd ball out SRT8 Jeep parts, but even many of those are interchangeable.

I'm one of the guys that swapped an SRT8 into mine, and trust me I've spent like 2.5yrs researching the similarities.

Let me give you an example, I swapped in my new motor, and bought Mopar's CAI for the 6.1L SRT8 Jeep GC. Bolted right to the TB AAANNDD the frame of the vehicle. Turns out, we have the same exact chassis, and for non-srt, the same exact suspension. I'm pretty sure even all the wiring is the same.

Now, to your other concern. Any internal motor upgrade you find for say a Charger/Challenger/300 5.7 Hemi engine, will work just fine in your 5.7 hemi. They are the same. Same Heads, Block, Rotating assembly, valve train, intake manifold, throttle body, etc. Even the timing cover and accessories are the same. The bolt on items that are different are the exhaust manifolds and oil pan, but that's pretty much it.

So there's a few ways you can go about this. You can Port/Polish heads, do cam swap, stroker kit, supercharger, nitrous (if you want), upgraded valvetrain components, and so on. Like i said, you find a 392 stroker kit for the 5.7L dodge charger, it will fit your hemi.

Keep in mind, this applies year for year, eg. 2008 Commander and 2008 Charger. There were 4.7 engine revisions in 2008 models makinjg them different from 06 and 07, and there were 5.7 revisions in 2009 making them different from 2008 and earlier (They added VVT).

If you'd like a solid start, I'd recommend Thitek heads, A comp 263 cam, and PSI SRT8 valve springs (although the heads will probably come with them, along with bigger valves).

Thitek heads are the best heads you can get for Gen 3 Hemis. Look it up if you need to.

Whew, that was a lot of typing. lol.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Whew! Glad I got here in time! Don't do it. The SC will bolt right up to your engine, but you'll be relocating the battery. All Air intakes on all LX's go to the driver's side, While the Jeeps go to the passenger side. If you can find a supercharger for the 5.7 Jeep GC, it will bolt right up. in fact, almost all jeep GC parts fit perfect on our commanders, with the exception of odd ball out SRT8 Jeep parts, but even many of those are interchangeable.

I'm one of the guys that swapped an SRT8 into mine, and trust me I've spent like 2.5yrs researching the similarities.

Let me give you an example, I swapped in my new motor, and bought Mopar's CAI for the 6.1L SRT8 Jeep GC. Bolted right to the TB AAANNDD the frame of the vehicle. Turns out, we have the same exact chassis, and for non-srt, the same exact suspension. I'm pretty sure even all the wiring is the same.

Now, to your other concern. Any internal motor upgrade you find for say a Charger/Challenger/300 5.7 Hemi engine, will work just fine in your 5.7 hemi. They are the same. Same Heads, Block, Rotating assembly, valve train, intake manifold, throttle body, etc. Even the timing cover and accessories are the same. The bolt on items that are different are the exhaust manifolds and oil pan, but that's pretty much it.

So there's a few ways you can go about this. You can Port/Polish heads, do cam swap, stroker kit, supercharger, nitrous (if you want), upgraded valvetrain components, and so on. Like i said, you find a 392 stroker kit for the 5.7L dodge charger, it will fit your hemi.

Keep in mind, this applies year for year, eg. 2008 Commander and 2008 Charger. There were 4.7 engine revisions in 2008 models makinjg them different from 06 and 07, and there were 5.7 revisions in 2009 making them different from 2008 and earlier (They added VVT).

If you'd like a solid start, I'd recommend Thitek heads, A comp 263 cam, and PSI SRT8 valve springs (although the heads will probably come with them, along with bigger valves).

Thitek heads are the best heads you can get for Gen 3 Hemis. Look it up if you need to.

Whew, that was a lot of typing. lol.
Awesome info, Skull!!

I'm interested in a mild cam upgrade mainly to improve lower end torque - I tow a travel trailer and boat (not at the same time...) and for me it's all about having the grunt to get things moving from a standstill and pulling on grades and mountain passes. On another forum I've read about simply advancing the stock cam one tooth on the timing chain (or 6 degrees) to get significant gains. Your thoughts?

Bob

·
Registered
371 Posts
Bob,

Advancing the cam requires an aftermarket timing chain that comes with offset bushings. While you may gain some top end power, you will lose bottom end which seems to defeat your intended goal. Retarding usually shifts power lower in the rpm range. You would be better off swapping in an aftermarket cam that makes more bottom end power but you will need a custom tuner if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Awesome info, Skull!!

I'm interested in a mild cam upgrade mainly to improve lower end torque - I tow a travel trailer and boat (not at the same time...) and for me it's all about having the grunt to get things moving from a standstill and pulling on grades and mountain passes. On another forum I've read about simply advancing the stock cam one tooth on the timing chain (or 6 degrees) to get significant gains. Your thoughts?

Bob
I would just get a new cam instead of messing with stock cam timings, I would never trust that, however, if you are just looking for a mild cam upgrade, from what I understand, swapping stock 6.1 SRT8 cams into 5.7's is a really common mild upgrade. I'd get the SRT8 springs too, but you can find stock cams allover the internet from SRT8 guys upgrading their cams.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Bob,

Advancing the cam requires an aftermarket timing chain that comes with offset bushings. While you may gain some top end power, you will lose bottom end which seems to defeat your intended goal. Retarding usually shifts power lower in the rpm range. You would be better off swapping in an aftermarket cam that makes more bottom end power but you will need a custom tuner if you decide to go that route.
I would just get a new cam instead of messing with stock cam timings, I would never trust that, however, if you are just looking for a mild cam upgrade, from what I understand, swapping stock 6.1 SRT8 cams into 5.7's is a really common mild upgrade. I'd get the SRT8 springs too, but you can find stock cams allover the internet from SRT8 guys upgrading their cams.

Awesome guys - thank you!!

I've not researched the impact of cams on HP and torque and which profile benefits which - or both. Really appreciate the tips... Now I have some fun winter reading to do on cams for a spring upgrade :thumbsup:

Bob

1 - 20 of 28 Posts