Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A Beautiful Saturday!

The wife and I went out wheelin today. We live about 35 minutes from Jefferson National Forrest here in SW Virginia. One trail called "Broad Run" is about 15 or 20 miles long. We made it about half way until we hit the "BIG" water hole. One fella told me it covered his 33's. Well.... I didn't want to get (muddy) water in the new Commander, maybe next time. We met a stock TJ going back, they said no problem, we would have made it, Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: A Beautiful Saturday!

Looks like great fun! Makes me want to take mine out. We took ours on a big adventure yesterday. What a hoot! The JEEP handles great stock! and takes anything we threw at it... steep hills, rock washes, narrow cliffs. Awesome ride. Thanks for sharing the pix.

·
Registered
128 Posts

thanks for the pics guys. i'm jealous!!

·
Registered
80 Posts

Really nice photos. Looks like a beautiful drive. I have some buddies that want to take an all guy off-rd. trip in April. I just can't bring myself to take the commander yet. I need to at least break it in. Maybe get a shopping cart ding or something. I'll take the 69 wagoneer. I don't mind if I thrash it or roll it even. It's been a while since I've had some serious dirt fun. Looking forward to it. I did take the commander up the fire road at the end of our street. It's a crawling mother alright. Any so.cal. guys want to go on our trip? Calico ghost town. 2 nites . No drugs. mostly law enforcement guys. Great crowd. Crazy. Tequila!

·
Registered
107 Posts

Mango,

Could you post directions to the trail you went on. I live in/outside Raleigh and would like to take my two little girls up there camping and maybe do a little light four wheel stuff. Any help on how to get there from a main road would be helpfull and appreciated. You can pm me if you want or need my email address.

Thanks in advance for your help and maybe we could hook up and do some wheelin together.

Bob Wall

·
Registered
2,473 Posts

Very similar terrain to what I used to drive up in the GW Forest. Now I live out here in AZ it is more rocks than mud. :p

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks I love it up here in Southwest Virginia. I've got I two National Forests nearby. If I get tired of them (haven't yet), I always have West Virginia which is an hour away & it's definatly wide open.

Hey rwall43, if you come up I-81 to Roanoke, take exit 141, go to the stoplight at the end of the ramp, take a right, go about 2 miles to Route 311, take a right, go 18 miles, turn right on Broad Run Rd., Broad Run Trading Post sits on the corner. The trail is about 15 or so miles. It runs north and hooks back into I-81. If you go out that way, I'll give you directions to get back out to I-81. Like I said there is a big mud hole about 1/2 way. Kinda deep, I turned around, but I had the wife with me and it's her Jeep:D. They clean the trails up in the spring sometime, maybe they will fill in the hole a bit. The creek crossings vary depending on the snow/rainfall, so far this winter has been dry, no snow. Yea, it would be nice to hook up and do some wheelin, let me know when head this way, or anyone else who happens to be heading this way. :cool:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wheelin Pics

Went out Sunday morning to my local National Forest trail. Had a little fun before the Steelers had theirs This is the same trail I went on last Saturday and turned around before the big mud puddle. Well the big mud wasn't so big after all! The Commander went through it like it was nothing. It's a fun trail, here's a few pics.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Wheelin Pics

Nice! Do most National parks have trails like that? Glad to see you are driving your Jeep where it is most happy- in the dirt!

·
Registered
128 Posts

I have to say I think youre commander looks beutiful in those trails!!!:D I am very jealous;)

·
Registered
160 Posts

I 2 agree with pac. Get it 2pac. lol. But anyway love those trail pics. Keep em coming. maximo

·
Registered
2,473 Posts

I am not sure if most National Parks have trails like this. I am sure it varies from park to park. Most of these trails are actually Forest Roads used as access for maintenance and fire crews. I have done quite a bit of off-roading in the George Washington National Forest.

If you pick up a DeLorme atlas of your state at Barnes & Noble (or from http://www.delorme.com/ ) you should be able to see any of the main FRs in a park. However these may not always be open.

The US Forestry service opens and closes trails based on conditions, usage, weather, etc. For example, the Dictum Ridge trail near Harrisonburg, VA was often closed at it's most difficult area.

In Western states (AZ, NV, UT, etc.) many trails are on Bureau of Land Management land which requires you to pay a very small annual fee to BLM for access to the trails.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Jangy, your a trooper. How long you been 4 wheelin. You seem to know what your doing? maximo

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Those are some fine wheelin pics. I'd do that in ours, but the Commander is the wifes. I wheel in my Liberty!

·
Registered
128 Posts

Jangy said:
That ain't wheelin!! Hehe, just messin.
All I have to say is, Wow!!:D especially since its so new of A jeep:eek: :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
7 Point Trim Package

Here is the latest Hunters trim package available. :eek: We found this on our property down in a hollor laying in a small creek bed. What a hood ornament!:cool:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts