Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I've got a new project vehicle and I heard this was a great place for any help I might need along the road. I am not new to Jeeps I've had 3 WJs, a few TJs, and now I have a 2006 Xk with 4.7 at 112,000 miles. I picked it up basically for nothing It has a salvaged title and has been sitting for quiet some time at a friends garage. I am an engineer and I've been working on cars and bikes since I could turn a wrench, so I know a little about what I'm doing. Glad to meet everyone here and I hope to have some fun getting my XJ built. Ill try to post pictures when I have chances too.

Since I cant make a new thread yet, I'll put this here and see what happens. I have searched the forum and cannot find anything that matches any of my problems, if you know where I can find them please point me in the right direction.

Problem 1: When I start the engine (warm or cold start doesn't matter) when I try to shift from park to reverse the transmission grinds and does not take gear. If I put it back in park shut the engine off, wait about 10 seconds, restart, wait for the RPM's to drop under 1000rpm it will go into reverse without grinding. It will take any other gear anytime without grinding it only has this problem in reverse. (I'm thinking pump or solenoid)

Problem 2: There is a loud clunking sound coming from the rear end, when turning and when going over bumps in the road. I have checked everything I can for looseness. I have found that when i grab the back tire (it will do this on both sides) hands at 3 and 9 and shake in a push pull method it will make the clunking noise. It feels like the entire rear end is loose. (there is no spare tire and all heat shrouds have been checked for looseness) It is a deep heavy clunk sound.

·
Super Moderator
5,918 Posts
Hey everyone, I've got a new project vehicle and I heard this was a great place for any help I might need along the road. I am not new to Jeeps I've had 3 WJs, a few TJs, and now I have a 2006 Xk with 4.7 at 112,000 miles. I picked it up basically for nothing It has a salvaged title and has been sitting for quiet some time at a friends garage. I am an engineer and I've been working on cars and bikes since I could turn a wrench, so I know a little about what I'm doing. Glad to meet everyone here and I hope to have some fun getting my XJ built. Ill try to post pictures when I have chances too.

Since I cant make a new thread yet, I'll put this here and see what happens. I have searched the forum and cannot find anything that matches any of my problems, if you know where I can find them please point me in the right direction.

Problem 1: When I start the engine (warm or cold start doesn't matter) when I try to shift from park to reverse the transmission grinds and does not take gear. If I put it back in park shut the engine off, wait about 10 seconds, restart, wait for the RPM's to drop under 1000rpm it will go into reverse without grinding. It will take any other gear anytime without grinding it only has this problem in reverse. (I'm thinking pump or solenoid)

Problem 2: There is a loud clunking sound coming from the rear end, when turning and when going over bumps in the road. I have checked everything I can for looseness. I have found that when i grab the back tire (it will do this on both sides) hands at 3 and 9 and shake in a push pull method it will make the clunking noise. It feels like the entire rear end is loose. (there is no spare tire and all heat shrouds have been checked for looseness) It is a deep heavy clunk sound.
@commandersmoky ;

Welcome to the forum.

Is your transmission shifting problem generating any DTC's in the EVIC?

As far as the rear end clunking sound - maybe a a bad universal joint?

Once you reach 5 posts, you will be able to post in all the other sub-forums.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. No I'm not getting any DTC's when it does it. Every once in a while I will get the esp/abs traction control and service awd light all on at the same time, but usually not at the same time as when it grinds. It kind of seems related to rpms like things are not lining up until the rpms drop below 1000.

·
Super Moderator
5,918 Posts
Thanks for the reply. No I'm not getting any DTC's when it does it. Every once in a while I will get the esp/abs traction control and service awd light all on at the same time, but usually not at the same time as when it grinds. It kind of seems related to rpms like things are not lining up until the rpms drop below 1000.
One other thing I would do is go to the website below and plug in your VIN to see if all the factory re-calls & campaigns have been completed:

Safety Recall Information | MOPAR

The difference between a safety recall and a campaign is that a safety recall pertains to a vehicle problem that is a safety concern; a campaign is a vehicle problem that is not a safety concern, but, pertains to customer satisfaction.

If there are any factory recalls or campaigns that are outstanding, that should be your very first order of business.

Once you've verified that all of your recalls and campaigns are completed, you can see what problems you still have left to deal with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts