Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I'm Neil (most people call me laf - that username was taken here though :) ). I'm based in Manchester, UK.

I've just bought my 2007 5.7l Hemi Commander about 3 weeks ago. It's been in the garage for a week now whilst it gets full rust treated underneath and undersealed. Full service including the 4wd system, parking sensors, tpms sensors + anything else it needs to try and give me trouble free motoring (don't laugh). My old man emu 2" lift arrived this week so the garage will be installing that as well.

Ideally looking to get things like recovery points, AT tyres to do a little off roading so if anyone is local to me and heads out to places I'm yet to find, please let me know.

The car is just a weekend toy as I commute on a Yamaha MT07 for work so I was able to go for the silly 5.7l engine rather than the more traditional 3l diesel you can find in the UK.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Hi Folks,

I'm Neil (most people call me laf - that username was taken here though :) ). I'm based in Manchester, UK.

I've just bought my 2007 5.7l Hemi Commander about 3 weeks ago. It's been in the garage for a week now whilst it gets full rust treated underneath and undersealed. Full service including the 4wd system, parking sensors, tpms sensors + anything else it needs to try and give me trouble free motoring (don't laugh). My old man emu 2" lift arrived this week so the garage will be installing that as well.

Ideally looking to get things like recovery points, AT tyres to do a little off roading so if anyone is local to me and heads out to places I'm yet to find, please let me know.

The car is just a weekend toy as I commute on a Yamaha MT07 for work so I was able to go for the silly 5.7l engine rather than the more traditional 3l diesel you can find in the UK.

Thanks for reading.
@lafwud;

Welcome to the forum; We have a few UK members here, so, hopefully they will find this thread and introduce themselves to you;

You have a nice blank canvas there to work with; I don't know how many of these companies will ship to the UK, but, here are some links for aftermarket and/or replacements parts for your Commander;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have a nice blank canvas there to work with; I don't know how many of these companies will ship to the UK, but, here are some links for aftermarket and/or replacements parts for your Commander;
Thanks and again, welcome aboard.
Many thanks Big Blue :)

JBA ship as I got the upgraded UCA from them - ordered last Thur and they arrived Monday morning. Extortionate import fees unfortunately but it is what it is!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Many thanks Big Blue :)

JBA ship as I got the upgraded UCA from them - ordered last Thur and they arrived Monday morning. Extortionate import fees unfortunately but it is what it is!
No problem at all @lafwud;

I look forward to seeing how your build progresses.

·
Registered
84 Posts
hi there.
not far from Manchester myself, but as far semi civilised off roading goes, try Cown quarry in Facit, Rochdale. they have pay to play sundays each month, some fairly civilised tracks and some vehicle wreckers. there are some videos on youtube (including landies coming unsuck big style - obviously one should not laugh at such things... but..... ).

rnjoy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
4 x 4 | Cowm Leisure play days.

old youtube

happy to say the terrain hasnt improved any.

couldnt find any other jeep footage, seems mainly lany owners who post,

got a funny clip from a land rover site of a spoof of hitler discussing jeeps versus landys. -

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi there.
not far from Manchester myself, but as far semi civilised off roading goes, try Cown quarry in Facit, Rochdale. they have pay to play sundays each month, some fairly civilised tracks and some vehicle wreckers. there are some videos on youtube (including landies coming unsuck big style - obviously one should not laugh at such things... but..... ).

rnjoy.
You’re up where I got my Cherokee from, that goes back to jeep Oldham this year. They are supposed to be sorting the recalls out on my Commander at the moment.

Thanks for the heads up on the off roading. I’ll check it out and watch the videos.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
There are quite a few other members from the UK on this forum and a couple who have joined recently, so, hopefully they will find there way to this thread and introduce themselves; It's hard for me to remember them all but here are a few;

@Dr Ofsereb ; @Iocopocomaioco; @Commander84; @Mark Redford; @turkish1987; @Jay90; @CP07 & @PhilCommanderPayne to name a few; There are actually a lot more UK members than this, but these are a few that I know of, that have at least been somewhat active on the forum recently;

There is also a UK Commanders social group you can find here;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/groups/uk-commanders.html

Maybe someone can step up and take charge of it and make it a little more active; The guy who originally started it doesn't appear to post here any longer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Big Blue.

I won't lie and say I'd love to try and get some of the UK crew together, I have so little time for hobbies that I wouldn't do it justice :(

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Thanks Big Blue.

I won't lie and say I'd love to try and get some of the UK crew together, I have so little time for hobbies that I wouldn't do it justice :(
That's the same problem with Commander owners here in the states, I've tried on a couple of occasions to get members here together, in an attempt to generate a little camaraderie here on the forum, but, everyone is too busy to be bothered, so, I don't even try anymore.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the same problem with Commander owners here in the states, I've tried on a couple of occasions to get guys here on the forum together in an attempt to generate a little camaraderie here on the forum, but, everyone is too busy to be bothered, so, I don't even try anymore.
That's such a shame :( I guess in the states you're probably all a little spread out so it can be quite a distance to travel to meet up.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
That's such a shame :( I guess in the states you're probably all a little spread out so it can be quite a distance to travel to meet up.
That is a factor - but it's far from the only reason;

The forum membership, generally, does not seem interested in anything that will take up a little bit of their time - or require some effort on their part.

If it's not convenient for them, or in their own best interest, the forum members just don't want to be bothered, for the most part.

In my opinion it's more an indictment of how selfish & self-centered our society, as a whole, has become - more so than anything else....but I digress.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In my opinion it's more an indictment of how selfish & self-centered our society, as a whole, has become - more so than anything else....but I digress.
You probably aren't wrong there. I used to be part of car forums when I was younger (40 this year) and they felt so lively and community driven, actually met some long term friends on those forums. However it seems most forums now have posts that are few and far between as people look to be using things like Facebook and the like where it's common for instant gratification.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
You probably aren't wrong there. I used to be part of car forums when I was younger (40 this year) and they felt so lively and community driven, actually met some long term friends on those forums. However it seems most forums now have posts that are few and far between as people look to be using things like Facebook and the like where it's common for instant gratification.
Yep, you are on the mark @lafwud; Glad I'm not the only one who see's it that way.

·
Registered
84 Posts
if its any comcilation it seems a fairly common thing across most forums, jeep or otherwise.

Ive been on quite a few forums and seen 'social events' 'meetings' (whatever) cancelled due to lack of interest, some decent looking ones aswell, pay to play days for charity etc at reduced costs.

there are a few jeep owners around the northwest and yorkshire who are active on forums - but im not sure how often they get out.

I had my commander out on saturday doing a bit of flood driving - had some fun, helped a few people out who realy shouldnt have tried driving 3 series bmws etc through deep water! today i had a decent chat with a policeman about the lack of a front registration plate on my jeep, i went back to where i think i might have lost it, found about 7 front registration plates, sadly none of which was mine, so ended up paying nine quid for a new plate :frown2:

what i did do though (due to lack of snow this year) is get some 4x4 use in.

Mine isnt reall done up for any serious off roading, but i'd be up for a bit mild green laning.

Saturday watersports ( i have no idea what the guy with the red car was doing - he had just been towed out of the water he was pushing the car back into)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
there are a few jeep owners around the northwest and yorkshire who are active on forums - but im not sure how often they get out.
Mines spent the last 3 weeks of 5 weeks ownership in the garage whilst it gets a full top to bottom check over so I've yet to get out in it. Got a young family though so I doubt I'll be able to commit much time to using it for now

I had my commander out on saturday doing a bit of flood driving - had some fun, helped a few people out who realy shouldnt have tried driving 3 series bmws etc through deep water! today i had a decent chat with a policeman about the lack of a front registration plate on my jeep, i went back to where i think i might have lost it, found about 7 front registration plates, sadly none of which was mine, so ended up paying nine quid for a new plate :frown2:

what i did do though (due to lack of snow this year) is get some 4x4 use in.

Mine isnt reall done up for any serious off roading, but i'd be up for a bit mild green laning.
Is yours lifted? That water looked pretty high up the video, I assume no snorkel?

Saturday watersports ( i have no idea what the guy with the red car was doing - he had just been towed out of the water he was pushing the car back into) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycwtqmcoZdU
That looked like a bit of fun :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mines spent the last 3 weeks of 5 weeks ownership in the garage whilst it gets a full top to bottom check over so I've yet to get out in it. Got a young family though so I doubt I'll be able to commit much time to using it for now
we used ours a lot over the summer taking grand kids to the beach, fits loads of stuff in with the rearmost seats down, beach BBQs were fun

Is yours lifted? That water looked pretty high up the video, I assume no snorkel?

mines not lifted, still considering it though, no snorkel

That looked like a bit of fun :)
It was fun, snow is better, but waters ok :grin2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts