Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, hopefully I have my profile set up right now...Just recently bought a 07 Jeep Commander, however it doesn't appear the back up camera is trying to turn on. In the manual it says to go to system settings menu. I have no idea where that is at, it says refer to the Navigation Manual, however accessing the navigation menus appear to require a disc that I do not have. What am I missing?

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Hello, hopefully I have my profile set up right now...Just recently bought a 07 Jeep Commander, however it doesn't appear the back up camera is trying to turn on. In the manual it says to go to system settings menu. I have no idea where that is at, it says refer to the Navigation Manual, however accessing the navigation menus appear to require a disc that I do not have. What am I missing?
Your profile is good to go now @Dyson350; thank you.

I don't have the factory NAV Radio so, if I ask some questions that may sound silly to you, please forgive me.

You don't have a touch screen menu with a settings tab when you touch your radio display? I know there is an update disk for the Factory Navigation system, but I was not aware that you needed a disk just to access the system settings - that sounds kind of off to me.

In any event I highly doubt that is the problem with your back-up camera; I had a similar issue with my XK when I bought it but my problem was intermittent; the back-up camera displayed good video when I first bought it and then basically went black shortly thereafter - but the display for the radio itself still worked fine for any radio & CD player related functions;

It (The back-up camera) would start working again every so often - but for very brief periods. I tried replacing the back-up camera first as that was the cheaper of the 2 solutions; but ALAS, that didn't solve the issue; next step was replacing the head unit; $1030.00 later (the cost of the reconditioned factory head unit & labor to have it installed) the problem was fixed. I have went to an aftermarket head unit since then, for much improved reliability.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your profile is good to go now; thank you.

I don't have the factory NAV Radio so, if I ask some questions that may sound silly to you, please forgive me.

You don't have a touch screen menu with a settings tab when you touch your radio display? I know there is an update disk for the Factory Navigation system, but I was not aware that you needed a disk just to access the system settings - that sounds kind of off to me.

In any event I highly doubt that is the problem with your back-up camera; I had a similar issue with my XK when I bought it but my problem was intermittent; it worked when I first bought it and then basically when black shortly thereafter; It would start working again every so often - but for very brief periods. I tried replacing the back-up camera first as that was the cheaper of the 2 solutions; but ALAS, that didn't solve the issue; next step was replacing the head unit; $1020.00 later (the cost of the head unit & labor to have it installed) the problem was fixed.
Nope, no touch screen. And I am not seeing any buttons to get to any kind of system settings menu. Owners manual says to use the Navigation Manual but even in it I don't see anything. The Jeep doesn't give any indication that it is trying to use the rear camera which is why I thought it may be turned off for some reason.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Nope, no touch screen. And I am not seeing any buttons to get to any kind of system settings menu. Owners manual says to use the Navigation Manual but even in it I don't see anything. The Jeep doesn't give any indication that it is trying to use the rear camera which is why I thought it may be turned off for some reason.
I mean I guess it's possible - but I would think it's pretty unlikely that the camera display has been turned off.

Like I said, I know they do have a Navigation update disk for the Factory NAV Radios but they are $150.00; I'll post a link for it here in a minute in case you decide you want to order one.

EDIT: Here is the link for the 06/07 Commander NAV System update disk;

https://chryslergroup.navigation.com/product/Catalog/Catalog_Jeep_Commander_2007/FCA-GROUP-2013-NORTH-AMERICAN-MAP-FOR-ALPINE-REC-RB1-V.AL/sku/U3645-1075-210/en_US/ChryslerNA/USD

·
Registered
85 Posts
Some Commanders with the non-NAV system have the backup camera go to the rear view mirror.

Can you post pics of your Head Unit and rear mirror?

The 2007 RER system isn't a touch screen. You can buy nav dvds online for like $10 if you want. There's a plastic piece that you remove with a paper clip and that's where it goes.

Personally, I'd replace it. It doesn't have any good Bluetooth functionality. Time to upgrade to a system that is 12 years newer :)

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Do you have your factory build sheet?

If so, does it say that your Commander comes with the factory navigation system?

If you don't have your factory build sheet - you can get it fairly quickly by following the instructions below:

To get the factory build sheet for your Commander, click on the link below and navigate to "Your Vehicle" click on "Equipment Listing" and then enter your VIN number in the box that says "VIN" and hit "Search". The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

Dodge - Contact Us

Alternate Link: https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some Commanders with the non-NAV system have the backup camera go to the rear view mirror.

Can you post pics of your Head Unit and rear mirror?

The 2007 RER system isn't a touch screen. You can buy nav dvds online for like $10 if you want. There's a plastic piece that you remove with a paper clip and that's where it goes.

Personally, I'd replace it. It doesn't have any good Bluetooth functionality. Time to upgrade to a system that is 12 years newer :)

Here are the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have your factory build sheet?

If so, does it say that your Commander comes with the factory navigation system?

If you don't have your factory build sheet - you can get it fairly quickly by following the instructions below:

To get the factory build sheet for your Commander, click on the link below and navigate to "Your Vehicle" click on "Equipment Listing" and then enter your VIN number in the box that says "VIN" and hit "Search". The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.
If I am understanding the question right, yes it does come with the Nav system..but missing the disc. I checked to see if a camera was in the back and there is as well.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I imagine you should still be able to enter the REC hidden menu without a navigation DVD. Press the NAV button then hold down the 2 and 6 buttons until you enter the hidden menu.

From there, you should be able to see different vehicle features, including radio connections, car input signals, etc. I'm not sure if the camera will show up in the system links menu, but that's a good thing to check. Also check that you've got a good reverse feed to the radio from the hidden menu; if the system never sees a reverse signal, it won't switch over to the camera view.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I imagine you should still be able to enter the REC hidden menu without a navigation DVD. Press the NAV button then hold down the 2 and 6 buttons until you enter the hidden menu.

From there, you should be able to see different vehicle features, including radio connections, car input signals, etc. I'm not sure if the camera will show up in the system links menu, but that's a good thing to check. Also check that you've got a good reverse feed to the radio from the hidden menu; if the system never sees a reverse signal, it won't switch over to the camera view.
Havent had the chance to look at the hidden menu but I did look online at all menu options and didnt see anything about rear camera. My thing is, in the manual is says to turn it on and off go into system settings....but there is no system settings menu. I've looked online too and nothing. I don't get it.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
If I am understanding the question right, yes it does come with the Nav system..but missing the disc. I checked to see if a camera was in the back and there is as well.
The question you never answered was - Do you have the factory build sheet for your Commander?

If you don't, I would follow the instructions that I gave you 2 or 3 posts ago and download it, it's to your benefit to have it handy.

I would also suggest that you stop looking online, get out of your chair, go outside and get in your XK and TRY what @consumedbywater suggested to you - so you can actually see in real life what options are there & available in the hidden menu.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The question you never answered was - Do you have the factory build sheet for your Commander?

If you don't, I would follow the instructions that I gave you 2 or 3 posts ago and download it, it's to your benefit to have it handy.

I would also suggest that you stop looking online, get out of your chair, go outside and get in your XK and TRY what @consumedbywater suggested to you - so you can actually see in real life what options are there & available in the hidden menu.
I am not currently around the Jeep right now or I would. I will look up the VIN on the website too when I get home to see what the VIN is. So even though there is a camera on the back of the Jeep you are saying that doesn't neccesarily mean there is a rear camera feature present??

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I am not currently around the Jeep right now or I would. I will look up the VIN on the website too when I get home to see what the VIN is. So even though there is a camera on the back of the Jeep you are saying that doesn't neccesarily mean there is a rear camera feature present??
You're reading too much into this; the factory build sheet is an excellent reference to have - especially as a new owner; I guarantee you there will be more than one occasion in your near future, where you will need it. I'm just suggesting that you download it now, so you have it available when you need it.

I already told you from the very beginning Dyson, I think you're chasing ghosts looking for a menu to enable your back-up camera; That's not to say it doesn't exist, but based on my experience with factory head units & back-up camera issues on this forum, as well as from my own personal experience - I highly doubt that is your problem.

I believe when all the dust settles, you will wind up having to replace that factory radio/head unit. It is a known weak link / point of failure in Commanders and there are a variety of ways that the factory head unit/radio can fail - the back-up camera video not being displayed is most certainly one of them that is very well documented.

I could be wrong - but I doubt it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're reading too much into this; the factory build sheet is an excellent reference to have - especially as a new owner; I guarantee you there will be more than one occasion in your near future, where you will need it. I'm just suggesting that you download it now, so you have it available when you need it.

I already told you from the very beginning Dyson, I think you're chasing ghosts looking for a menu to enable your back-up camera; That's not to say it doesn't exist, but based on my experience with factory head units & back-up camera issues on this forum, as well as from my own personal experience - I highly doubt that is your problem.

I believe when all the dust settles, you will wind up having to replace that factory radio/head unit. It is a known weak link / point of failure in Commanders and there are a variety of ways that the factory head unit/radio can fail - the back-up camera video not being displayed is most certainly one of them that is very well documented.

I could be wrong - but I doubt it.
Unfortunately you are probably right, however with troubleshooting it is best to start at the most simple/basic solution and work from there. And going by the manual there is a system setting for off and on...which so far I have found no proof of existing. Makes no sense.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Unfortunately you are probably right, however with troubleshooting it is best to start at the most simple/basic solution and work from there. And going by the manual there is a system setting for off and on...which so far I have found no proof of existing. Makes no sense.
I don't disagree with you there - I did the same thing when my back-up camera went black after about 2 weeks of ownership.

I think you'll find that at least some of your questions will be answered, when you can actually get into your Commander and check out that hidden menu that CBW was talking about.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't disagree with you there - I did the same thing when my back-up camera went black after about 2 weeks of ownership.

I think you'll find that at least some of your questions will be answered, when you can actually get into your Commander and check out that hidden menu that CBW was talking about.
Here is the only thing that i could find that potentially references the camera. The menu didnt tell me too much.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
What does Reverse--------off mean? Does it mean your reverse camera is turned off? Or does it mean that you are not currently in reverse? Like if you were to be in reverse would it say on. Can you toggle it to be on? That big screen is not a touchscreen?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What does Reverse--------off mean? Does it mean your reverse camera is turned off? Or does it mean that you are not currently in reverse? Like if you were to be in reverse would it say on. Can you toggle it to be on? That big screen is not a touchscreen?
I was trying to figure out the same answer, I'm not sure what it refers to. I didn't want to attempt to toggle it off and on since I don't know what it does. Screen is also not touchscreen.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Here is the only thing that i could find that potentially references the camera. The menu didnt tell me too much.
That screen is telling you the current values for those inputs. What you should check for is that when you put the vehicle in reverse, the reverse signal switches to on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts