Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm not yet an owner of a commander, but looking at purchasing one in the new year. The newest I can get here in the UK is a 2007 model, with around 60k miles on the clock.

Is there anything I need to be careful of when looking to buy? Any particular issues I need to check have been fixed/sorted previously, or if I need to sort can knock money off appropriately?

Also, I keep seeing the odd thread relating to catastrophic engine issues regarding the hemi, is a 2007 model likely to inherit the same issues of did jeep fix the problem on the production line before then? I don't really want to be putting a new engine in it 3 months after purchase, that's all :laugh2:

Any advice, help and or guidance welcome :smile2:

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi C-84,
All I can do is share my experience with my 06 Hemi 4x4 (as it falls under the 'any advice' definition). I purchased mine new in Jan 07... since then the first problem I experienced was the Starter in 2013 at about 85k miles, then water pump and hoses in August of 2018 at about 128k miles and then Differential Bushings and new Rear Pinion seal last month at 129k miles. Oh, and the rear passenger side end link went bad 2 years ago... a 30$ 15 minute DIY fix. Of course I've changed pads, rotors, batteries, spark plugs,shocks and tires... that's just general maintenance.
The 5.7 hemi has virtually been flawless so far. The Transmission still shifts like new.
I'm hoping to keep this SUV well past 200k miles.
If you can pick up one with ~ 60k miles, I'd confidently go for it!!!
Hope this helps your decision making.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Hi everyone!

I'm not yet an owner of a commander, but looking at purchasing one in the new year. The newest I can get here in the UK is a 2007 model, with around 60k miles on the clock.

Is there anything I need to be careful of when looking to buy? Any particular issues I need to check have been fixed/sorted previously, or if I need to sort can knock money off appropriately?

Also, I keep seeing the odd thread relating to catastrophic engine issues regarding the hemi, is a 2007 model likely to inherit the same issues of did jeep fix the problem on the production line before then? I don't really want to be putting a new engine in it 3 months after purchase, that's all :laugh2:

Any advice, help and or guidance welcome :smile2:

Thanks

Ian
Ian;

Welcome to the forum; This thread should help you with your search for a Commander;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/56546-looking-buy.html

If you are in the UK I'd recommend looking for a Commander with the 3.0L CRD Diesel engine, I think you'll be much better off in the long run with the diesel engine rather than the Hemi.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We're not too keen on diesel to be fair, due to the low amount of miles we do a year and the increasing difficulty on getting modern diesel cars to pass MOT on emissions over here.

So a 2007 model hemi should be OK in theory? Is there anything I could do to sort out any known weak points before they become issues?

Thank you

Ian

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
The Hemi is prone to the dropped valve seat, an expensive repair. Most say it only occurs if the Hemi has overheated. They fixed that problem in later years 09 - 10. My 06 with over 100K miles has not had any major problems - water pump leak, front diff bushings, and the broken plastic gears in the heater blend doors. The front 2 seat belts had the lower latches break just recently $300 with my labor. Make sure to use 5W20 oil in the Hemi so the MDS works for better gas mileage. Oh also drive on the left.:wink3:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts