Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my brother sent me a set of HIDs for my jeep, so i plugged them and and my whole jeep shut down. No headlight, windows didnt work, wont start.... nothing. So i take it to jeep and it turns out the hids sent back 150 volts to my circute board and control modular and burned that all up. keep in mind the head lights are only suppose to send back .5 volts. so ya, totally fried my jeep. They ordered the parts and will be in tomorrow. This one will cost me over 800 bills.... The also informed me that there might even be more wrong but they cant check until these new parts are in because everything is so fried there computer cant get past those 2 parts..... So if you want HIDS let the dealer install them.....

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
Plenty of members have installed HIDs themselves with no problems.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Title changed to reflect contect of thread.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'd think we need more info.

HID's are electric arc lights. The ballast can put out a couple of THOUSAND volts to get the arc started, then drops back and maintains the lit arc at around 85 volts.

The usual HID ballast has high voltage leads for the HID element, and low voltage wiring for the input. I could see something getting hooked up wrong and Kingdom-coming everything in the rig.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think I'll stick with Silver Stars. My car's too new to dink with it. I wanted HID's, but the only model with it when I bought my '09 didn't have as much of a discount. In fact, if I were to factor the difference in price after the discount, the HID's would have cost me about 4 grand! and that's for a $450.00 list option. I'll keep the bulbs!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Wow that sucks. Man I don't know if its the Commander in general or just an unlucky batch, but HIDs are a bit of a problem. My old set was the worst. When you first turned them on, the left light would quickly blink and shut off. Then once you turned the lights off and on again, both would ignite with no problem. This drove me so crazy that I upgraded to a new 25000K set. Although the flickering problem went away, when I initially turn the lights on the right light begins as a dark purple and the left one is bright white. After a very brief moment (about 3 seconds from initially turning the lights on), they both adjust themselves to the deep blue they intended to emit. All my friends have HIDs on their cars and I seem to be the only one with problems (thankfully my new problem isn't that bad, just a bit weird for a few seconds). Well, at least I know I'm not alone, although I haven't quite managed to fry the electrics in the truck. I wish you luck and, given the apparent Commander HID curse, recommend you having the dealer install factory HIDs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am havng the same issue wont start after HID install everything inside works but car will not start getting a transmision overtemp error for some reason

·
Registered
123 Posts
guys! be really carefull with the polarity! i had to switch the wires in the truck harness connector cuz it was inverted to the ballast.yes it connects directly but make sure positive is with positive and ground with ground.dont go by colors please use a test light or better multi meter.and also the relay harness is a very good idea!
i always buy from ddmtuning but im sure threres a lot of great stuff elsewhere !

·
Registered
862 Posts
guys! be really carefull with the polarity! i had to switch the wires in the truck harness connector cuz it was inverted to the ballast.yes it connects directly but make sure positive is with positive and ground with ground.dont go by colors please use a test light or better multi meter.and also the relay harness is a very good idea!
i always buy from ddmtuning but im sure threres a lot of great stuff elsewhere !
Yes, the headlight connector can be either way, you need a test light. Better yet, do NOT connect directly to the headlight connector. Use a relay instead, and that will also isolate the Jeep wiring from the HID ballast. You will also need a resistor to ''fake out'' the Jeep's computer, or you end up with HID's that won't shut down etc. Been there, done that.

I gave it up anyway, because the OEM headlight reflector is all wrong for the lengthy HID elements, and there's no bulb shield. People will flash their brights no matter how you aim them. That's why I converted my fog lights instead.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Can someone post a picture of these replacement HID's? Are they just a bulb? The only ones I am familiar with are the ones on the 2009/10 Commander, which are similar to the ones on my wifes 2006 Hyundai Tiburon. Thank you. I want to see what I may be getting myself into. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
123 Posts
heres one! problems with net hope it works! need more let me know

relay harness in middle sold seperatly

Attachments

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Well, they can't be just bulbs, unless your Jeep came OEM with HID's, you need other equipment to create the higher AC voltage and control/project the beam correctly.

I found this FAQ:
http://orca.st.usm.edu/~jmneal/tiburon/hids.htm

Seems its illegal to retrofit HIDs to NON-HID vehicles; for them to meet the specs for street legal headlights you have to do/check several things to make sure they are compliant, NOT just put them in and wire them up. Often, the reflector/projector of the OEM headlamp is NOT compliant and you'll have the wrong beam or the beam won't be pointed correctly, thus blinding on coming drivers. So they just made it illegal instead of coming up with a way to make sure people do it correctly and check it afterwards.

Seems its just NOT Commanders that risk suffering damage retro-fitting HID's.

At the very least, it seams this is NOT just a drop in mod, you have to do your homework, know exactly what your doing and double check everything; which is pretty much what half the posts have said already in this thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts