Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
ohhh! i like the squares! curious to see how they'll look in the big round housings....

I just gave in a got a set from HIDProjectors, absolutely love them, but he didn't have a lot of options for the XKs and they were kinda spendy....BUT, i didn't have to do any work, lol.
I've built custom projectors for all my previous XJs, back when projectors and HID kits were really expensive ($500+) and hard to come by ones with decently rebased bulbs....

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ohhh! i like the squares! curious to see how they'll look in the big round housings....

I just gave in a got a set from HIDProjectors, absolutely love them, but he didn't have a lot of options for the XKs and they were kinda spendy....BUT, i didn't have to do any work, lol.
I've built custom projectors for all my previous XJs, back when projectors and HID kits were really expensive ($500+) and hard to come by ones with decently rebased bulbs....
I've already spent around $600 so far, I only need one more ballast pair, and RGB controllers so.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The build so far consists of:
1 pair Depo factory replacement headlights ($130)
1 pair Morimoto 3" D2S 4.0 projectors with 6500K bulbs and motold2rs ($235)
1 pair ACME 2.5" H1 projectors with 5000K bulbs and motoho1ders ($65)
1 pair Morimoto XB55 1.0 ballasts used ($40)
1 pair Morimoto XB55 1.0 ballasts new ($70)
2 pair Diode Dynamics RGBW ColorMorph Demon eyes ($75)
1 pair Square Gatling Shroud With square halos ($35)
1 pair AliExpress square shrouds with square halos ($25)
1 pair 100mm Diode Dynamics ColorMorph halos (for rear of Gatling Shroud)($30)
1x Morimoto XB RGBW controller ($75)
1x quad xenon HD Battery harness ($65)
1x black retrorubber sealant ($20)
Other odds & ends, vents, hardware, epoxy, etc. (~$100)

I went with Depos which are not painted black housings because I contacted them, and they were there ONLY manufacturer that could confirm their headlights were sealed with butyl and nothing else. For those of you who don't know, permaseal seals most of the commander and domestic headlights including much of the aftermarket, and that stuff is virtually impossible to separate without significant damage to the headlights. On top of that, there is more paintwork I wanted to do, such as metalcast black on the reflector bowls in both the headlight housing and the turn signal housing to have contrasting blacks within.

·
Registered
128 Posts
how'd you separate them? low temp in an oven for a while or heat gun?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Opening method depends on the headlight, I like the Depo headlights because they are sealed with butyl. Those require 7min in the oven at 220F or a heat gun. OEM and TYC however are permaseal, they suck, and are very difficult to open without damaging the headlights. 240F in the oven for 20min 4-8 times.

This is my progress so far:

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Opening method depends on the headlight, I like the Depo headlights because they are sealed with butyl. Those require 7min in the oven at 220F or a heat gun. OEM and TYC however are permaseal, they suck, and are very difficult to open without damaging the headlights. 240F in the oven for 20min 4-8 times.

This is my progress so far:
cool, that's what I thought. When I got mine back from HIDProjectors the cutoff lines weren't level, both in different directions, and I was afraid I'd have to open them up to fix. Fortunately, after talking to the guy who makes them I got an easier way! But he uses Depo housings as well.
I did notice the yellow side marker part of the Depo housings don't line up as flush with the side body panels as the OEM lights did. They kinda tuck inside more. You can't tell from 10 feet away, so it's really just splitting hairs with perfectionism :lol:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So update, I'm going a different route with the shrouds. What I was going to use for the top shroud, was a square Halo shroud advertised as fitting 3" projectors, but it does not. It would not have been a huge problem had I not decided to upgrade to a 3" D2S for the upper projector and already modified the driverside headlight to fit the D2S, but I had. So I had to order new shrouds, and since money is tight, I had to get round ones from AliExpress, so who knows when they'll get here, supposedly by the 12th of Feb, but I digress, this is being a slow process, and I move in 2 months, so I hope that doesn't interfere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts