Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like any and all opinions about high miler 5.7 hemi. I found a very nice 2006 limited Commander. 5.7 hemi/over all appearance looks very well maintained, owner says so also. 210, 000 miles on vehicle selling for $3,500 obo. Can the Hemi go this far or even farther with good maintenance? Just curious on what you professional owners think about the miles, price, etc. Thank ahead of time for the input.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Would like any and all opinions about high miler 5.7 hemi. I found a very nice 2006 limited Commander. 5.7 hemi/over all appearance looks very well maintained, owner says so also. 210, 000 miles on vehicle selling for $3,500 obo. Can the Hemi go this far or even farther with good maintenance? Just curious on what you professional owners think about the miles, price, etc. Thank ahead of time for the input.

Well, my 2007 with a 4.7 and 170k on the clock and new tires cost me $800. I realize that this is a bargain and unusual from what Ive seen. My last 08 Grand cherokee V6 had 200k and still ran clean and quiet when I sold it for $4k a few months ago. Unfortunately I have no experience with the Hemi. My 07 has a filthy interior and lots of little broken plastic parts inside and needs front Dif bushings. AC not working. But its cleaning up well and drives fine despite the bushings. If youre not afraid of the mileage, then its not a bad price. Try 3k for an offer. My biggest gripe with these high mileage vehicles is usually the windshield. If its orignal its most likely sand blasted. You might not notice it at first but at night with oncoming headlights or with the sun in your face it will rear its ugly head. Ive been lucky with high mileage. My mustang had 236k when I sold it, the JGC had 200k, my old XJ had 229k All worked fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow... 3.5K for 5.7HEMI??? Thats a steal even with that mileage... Here in Europe, they go for three times the amount... I bought mine (105k miles) for 16.000EUR (roughly 18500USD)... Sigh... everything is better in US... :headbang:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Sure, with proper maintenance I wouldn't be surprised with a Hemi running 300k+. The main killer of gen 3 Hemis is a dropped valve seat, but barring that failure they can keep running for hundreds of thousands of miles. My main concern would be the transmission; at 175k mine is starting to show signs of its age.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got a 2006 Limited 5.7 with nearly 190,000 and outside of replacing the wear and tare stuff (thermostat, water pump, valve cover gaskets) it's been a dream to drive without a single issue! For $3,500 though....thats a great deal even with the mileage. If you do have an OBDII scanner I would bring it or buy one. The BlueDriver scanner allows you to scan all modules and has saved me a lot of time taking it to be scanned to check up on things. I'd pull the trigger and say it paid for itself in 6 months at that price!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm also curious on the durability. I'm on the hunt for a 2009/2010 5.7 for under $10k. There are a few in the country but they have 150k+ miles. It's a crap shoot either way =)

I'm handy and can replace a transmission if needed. As long as the engine doesn't bomb out, I should be good.

A 2006-2008 LR3 can also be had for under $8K, so they are tempting. They look sweet with a 2.5" lift and 32" tires. But damn, those seem to have a lot of issues. You need to find one that the previous owner dumped a bunch of $$ into it already. I test drove a 2008 with 180k and the transmission was slamming into 2nd gear when flooring it and slipping into 3rd.

I have 245k on my 2011 F-250 6.2 (Gas) truck that I'm trying to sell right now. It drives like new, on the original drivetrain. Once it sells, it's Commander time!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm also curious on the durability. I'm on the hunt for a 2009/2010 5.7 for under $10k. There are a few in the country but they have 150k+ miles. It's a crap shoot either way =)

I'm handy and can replace a transmission if needed. As long as the engine doesn't bomb out, I should be good.

A 2006-2008 LR3 can also be had for under $8K, so they are tempting. They look sweet with a 2.5" lift and 32" tires. But damn, those seem to have a lot of issues. You need to find one that the previous owner dumped a bunch of $$ into it already. I test drove a 2008 with 180k and the transmission was slamming into 2nd gear when flooring it and slipping into 3rd.

I have 245k on my 2011 F-250 6.2 (Gas) truck that I'm trying to sell right now. It drives like new, on the original drivetrain. Once it sells, it's Commander time!
I think that as long as regular maintenance was performed, the 09/10 Hemis are a pretty safe bet even at 150k miles. I honestly think the rest of the Jeep will go long before the engine does.

Personally, I wouldn't even touch an LR3. I've heard LR3s are pretty reliable, but I've seen nothing but problems on many other Land Rover models from the same era so I'd be hesitant to trust the company.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sure, with proper maintenance I wouldn't be surprised with a Hemi running 300k+. The main killer of gen 3 Hemis is a dropped valve seat, but barring that failure they can keep running for hundreds of thousands of miles. My main concern would be the transmission; at 175k mine is starting to show signs of its age.
I agree with this 100%. I have a shop and see many hemi vehicles with 300k+.

I bought my 2006 Hemi from the auction not running it had 182,000km at the time for $1700. The cause of the failed engine was two dropped valve seats but the real killer was that one of them broke and scratched the cylinder wall and broke the piston. Otherwise I could have grabbed some rebuilt heads off rock auto and kept on going for much less time and money.

I have only been driving it about two months now since putting in the new engine and noticed I have used almost all my coolant in the reserve. I have noticed from time to time I could smell some coolant outside the engine but could never see anything dripping on the ground until the other day when I decided to have a look at the heater hoses and sure enough where the heater hose has a T junction into the heater core and then down to the rear heater the plastic junction is cracked and is slowly dripping.

Sorry if I kind of went off on a tangent.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I agree with this 100%. I have a shop and see many hemi vehicles with 300k+.

I bought my 2006 Hemi from the auction not running it had 182,000km at the time for $1700. The cause of the failed engine was two dropped valve seats but the real killer was that one of them broke and scratched the cylinder wall and broke the piston. Otherwise I could have grabbed some rebuilt heads off rock auto and kept on going for much less time and money.

I have only been driving it about two months now since putting in the new engine and noticed I have used almost all my coolant in the reserve. I have noticed from time to time I could smell some coolant outside the engine but could never see anything dripping on the ground until the other day when I decided to have a look at the heater hoses and sure enough where the heater hose has a T junction into the heater core and then down to the rear heater the plastic junction is cracked and is slowly dripping.

Sorry if I kind of went off on a tangent.
That's the typical problem with dropped valve seats; the repair for that problem alone isn't particularly expensive, but when you drop a valve seat it tends to take a lot of the engine out with it.

As far as the leaking t junction, that seems to be a recurring problem on these XKs. I've heard about others with the problem, and I had mine replaced at around 120k.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good info!

I sold my truck for $7,300, so now am ready to buy! Anyone want to sell me a 2009/2010 Commander??? hehe

There is ONE in Colorado and I looked at it today. It's a disaster. Bumper ripped off, rear tail light cracked, windishield cracked, tear in seats, check engine light, dirt everywhere, power tailgate broken, tailgate not staying up, scratches everywhere. 144k miles and dealer is asking $11k. LOL. I offered $7,500 in an email before seeing it and the dealer accepted. I'm passing!

Here it is:
https://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2009-jeep-commander-limited/6676952336.html

I just checked Manheim and a 2009 5.7 Limited is averaging $5,000 and 140k miles. 2010s are more rare and going over $10k with 115k miles on average.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would a 2007 commander with the hemi, have the third gen hemi? Or is this the hemi that drops valves uninvited? Engine has 113,000 miles on commander we are considering buying.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Would a 2007 commander with the hemi, have the third gen hemi? Or is this the hemi that drops valves uninvited? Engine has 113,000 miles on commander we are considering buying.
The redesigned Hemi is only in 2009-2010 models. All earlier models will have the third gen Hemi with the valve drop risk. This isn't as common a problem as it seems, though; it seems more common because you don't hear about all the Hemis it doesn't happen to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts