Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone has a 2 inch receiver and has a bike rack. do you have the 540 rr ? the mopar one is so expensive. please help

·
Registered
142 Posts
Don't know what the Mopar rack costs. There are several on eBay from under a $100 to less than $200.

I bought one on eBay that is a combination bike/ski rack and I think I paid around $175 on eBay for it. The combination racks are a little harder to find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have a combo bike / snowboard rack, mine is a Thule. I've had it a few years (used it with a Liberty before the Commander) so I don't remember the exact price, but I think it was around $250 for everything.

Todd

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a Bell bike rack, for the 2" receiver, used several times on my olde Cherokee, I'm sure it'll fit ok on my Commander. It has the drop down feature so that you don't have to unload the bike(s) to open the back. I bought it at a military exchange, I've seen the same thing at "Wally-World", a lot less than $100, as I recall.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Neither of the two major bike aftermarket companies seem to have some designed for the Commander. I'm on my third rack (test). I'm a avid cyclist so a good rack is important.

The last two racks, one from Yakima and the other from Thule. Both are swing out design, that allows you to swing the rack, with bikes, away from the vehicle without unloading the bikes.

Well, both interfere with the backup sensors. A backup camera would solve this problem.

The Thule, with bikes, doesn't clear the vehicle. In other words, with the rack as far out as possible (where the bike tire will hit the right, rear, quarter panel), it doesn't allow the hitch gate to open. Bummer, no good.

The Yakima does swing out for sufficient clearance, but it a little too tall. In other words, when the rear window is popped (remember how much force the rear window has, when it is popped open), I fear that if it hits the rack, the rear window will shatter. But that is just my opinion.

Since I've decided that I never need to swing out the rack with bikes on it, as it seems I would only need access to the back, with bikes on it, if I was on a long trip....not a big concern, I'm going back to a hitch mount that tilts back (only with bikes off). At least that doesn't interfere with the backup sensors.

BTW, each of these racks are in the $400 - $500 range. Like I said, an avid cyclist.

Tom
5.7 hemi/Limited

·
Registered
142 Posts
thdbusch said:
Neither of the two major bike aftermarket companies seem to have some designed for the Commander. I'm on my third rack (test). I'm a avid cyclist so a good rack is important.

The last two racks, one from Yakima and the other from Thule. Both are swing out design, that allows you to swing the rack, with bikes, away from the vehicle without unloading the bikes.

Well, both interfere with the backup sensors. A backup camera would solve this problem.
Got news for you. Anything interferes with the backup sensors if it's hooked up to the receiver hitch AND you're in reverse. So, you have to TURN IT OFF. That's what the disable switch on the dash is for.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was thinking about trying the THULE 532 Ride on adapter with the rack off of my Grand Cherokee. Has anybody tried that?

I'd rather have something that mounts directly to the roof rails instead of having "double" cross bars, but until somebody comes out with a multipurpose rack it will have to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Although I'm not referring to a bike rack, I just installed a GoRhino hitch step (3' wide & black) and happy to say it doesn't interfer with the backup sensors.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a hollywood rack that fits the 2'' hitch. It is a very solid rack and we like it a lot. I think the web address is hollywoodracks.com - but I don't remember for sure.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've got the Thule T2 hitch bike rack. I like it. Fast to load and unload.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts