Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an 09 Commander (3.7L) and would like to put a hitch cover (like favorite football team) on. I have tried with no success. Does it require the purchase of anything other than the pin and cover? There doesn't seem to be room enough for the cover to fit. (New to this whole hitch thing - any help would be greatly appreciated!)

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Does it not slide into the receiver? Not really sure why a cover would not fit, several members have them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it would be a quick thing to do. It seems that the bumper is in the way - I know this probably sounds crazy but I have tried different ones with no luck. Do you know if it might require some sort of extender? I know there are the regular mopar/jeep caps that cover the hitch but wanted the fancier one. I have checked my owners manual for the hitch size, etc. but have only found weight limits, etc. for towing. Again - completely new to this (and to Jeeps!) - thanks again for your help!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Well you have a 2" reveiver and for some reason the Jeep ones are a sloppy 2" so the hitch rattles unless you wrap it so the problem in your case sounds like you need a longer shaft on the hitch cover.

When you say that you are hitting the bumper, is the the cover a tall one? the space is pretty wide so I am not sure how the bumper is in the way. Can you take a pictue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you're right about needing more length. It is an oval shaped "G" (GA Bulldogs) cover - not a large one at all. Just not able to make it fit securely. It seems to hit the plastic right over the hitch area (not the actual bumper - sorry wasn't very clear before)

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Have you looked through the holes on the side of the receiver to see if you are pushing it in too far? Can you line up the holes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. I think I'll be calling my dad over for this one. A girl that can change the oil, tires, etc....but cannot put a hitch cover on!?!? :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts