Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a class 2 hitch right now, factory installed. I bought a class 3 hitch to replace my current hitch. My problem is with the rivets.

I can get out the pull out plugs on the bumper underneath and on top of the bumper. On the side are some rivets that look like they have three lines coming out of the middle. Not sure how to get those out or if I have to cut them and replace them. If I have to replace, what am I looking for. Advance Auto Parts would be the easiest for me to get them if anyone knows what I am talking about.

I have a 2006 Commander 4x4.

The instructions look like 3 on each side.

·
Super Moderator
14,913 Posts
Are you sure you have a class 2 hitch ? The Commanders only have either a class 3 or class 4 factory installed hitch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I did buy it used, but it is the 1 1/4 in opening. I never looked at the original paperwork specifically for the trailer hitch, but I am pretty sure it is a mopar on there right now.

I guess no matter how it was put on, I still have the same problem of the rivets on the sides of the bumper. Trying to figure out how to get this installed this week.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Are you talking about the rivets at the wheel wells?

Hidden Hitch 90114 - 2005 To 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee And Commander Class 2 Trailer Hitch, maybe what you
have now.

Commander Hitch Installation Guide

When I installed my hitch, I used the pull out pins you describled to replace
them. Take your pins to NAPA, you can get them for a lot less than the
dealer.

·
Registered
954 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cico7, those are definitely the instructions I have with the hitch I just bought.

Yes, the rivets in the wheel wells.

Did you use the same size pull out pins to replace the rivets? I'm going to have to do this at night after work, so i can't be running back and forth to stores that aren't open.

Thanks guys for getting me this far.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Did you use the same size pull out pins to replace the rivets? I'm going to have to do this at night after work....
I used slightly smaller pins than the pins on top and bottom. I told the NAPA guy what I wanted and he showed me some of various sizes.
If you ever want or need to remove the rear facia again, those pull out pins are easier and replaceable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just as a follow up for anyone else doing this.

I switched out my hitches last night. All in all, not too bad, but nothing like the directions I have, which are linked earlier up.

Most connectors were pull out pins. May be differnet because of back up sensors.

Anyway, main difference was 2 pins/rivets on sides at wheel wells. ADDITIONALLY, there are two pins and a metal bar on the underside top of the bumper. I finally figured out they were pull out plugs. Pulled out middle, then was able to get the rest. the entire piece of metal came down, so if you are laying on the ground, don't let it hit you in the face. Same on both sides. The metal pieces had a little movement to them, kind of like hanging a picture on a wall with the screw hole.

Also two allen wrench screws on the sides of the top where the tailgate lifts.

Hope that helps someone in my position since it doesn't match the drawing or etailer's video. Most pins/rivets were reusable.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
you dont have to pull oput the metal bar. it is a slide!!!
I did the same thing!!

Just as a follow up for anyone else doing this.

I switched out my hitches last night. All in all, not too bad, but nothing like the directions I have, which are linked earlier up.

Most connectors were pull out pins. May be differnet because of back up sensors.

Anyway, main difference was 2 pins/rivets on sides at wheel wells. ADDITIONALLY, there are two pins and a metal bar on the underside top of the bumper. I finally figured out they were pull out plugs. Pulled out middle, then was able to get the rest. the entire piece of metal came down, so if you are laying on the ground, don't let it hit you in the face. Same on both sides. The metal pieces had a little movement to them, kind of like hanging a picture on a wall with the screw hole.

Also two allen wrench screws on the sides of the top where the tailgate lifts.

Hope that helps someone in my position since it doesn't match the drawing or etailer's video. Most pins/rivets were reusable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm? Interesting. I had no chance of getting it to slide and come off. Not enough room with sliding it to get a wrench down in there to take off the old hitch. The plugs used were too big to get the metal over when sliding to the bigger holes.

Like someone else mentioned, may not be a factory install and the installer may have used some different replacement parts.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
I almost did the same but saw a post in the forum where the member said the whole thing would slide right out- it sure did.

I wish I had thought of replacing the "one time use" rivets with the pull out reusables.

Anyway, the matching NAPPA rivet part number I used is BK7702871/$6:59 for 20.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts