Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have lost the key to my hitch pin lock, and I am not sure what to do. This whole ordeal has pissed me off, I was stupid and didn't write down the key number and then lost both keys. Brilliant on my part. Has this ever happened to anyone? How did you get it off?

I was thinking I would take it to a locksmith to have it picked or a new key made....however as yall with factory hitches know, there is not allot of room in the factory location to maneuver lock picking tools.

My dad said I could just go to a shop and have them torch/cut it off, but the same problem exists, there is not enough room down there to maneuver tools with out damaging the bumper.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
192 Posts
They're not worth that much! Cut that "bad boy" off anyway you can. You might try drilling the lock also.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
get a 4 inch grinder. then get a cut off wheel. safety glasses, gloves.

cut it off in less time then it takes to put on your safety gear.

you will burn up the dremel before you even put a mark in that hardened steel.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UberCommander said:
I just got finished cutting a spare hitch pin in half with my dremel. I wanted to make sure that I was not feeding false info. I cut through it in about five minutes and my dremel still works.
Cool thanks!! I am going to pick up a dremel set on the way home and give this a go.

RedCommander said:
Is there no lock number on the lock itself?
nope they are just on the keys.

I just canceled the locksmith, I would rather spend my 60$ on a dremel that i can keep rather than a one time service...

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
RedCommander said:
Is there no lock number on the lock itself?
My thoughts exactly, most locks have the key number stamped on them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Dremel will work. I had the same thing happen and used my Dremel and one of their fiberglass reinforced cutoff wells. As mentioned before, take your time, let the tool do its job, and you will have it off in no time (I only broke 1 wheel).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Worked!!

Thanks to all of you for your advice, I borrowed a very old montgomery ward dremel from my uncle. It was only .8 amps 35k rpm. I picked up some new dremel metal blades and it cut right through.

It was a very akward angle to cut, as you can see its a little rough. It took about 10 min of cutting to get through.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts