Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can probably tell by this question, I'm not mechanical.

Located on my rear bumper is a cut out that seems to be a compartment door for the hitch. My Commander Sport 4.7 came with the tow package. Is there a hitch behind that compartment in the bumper? I apologize if this is a dumb question. Thanks for answering. Ken

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
If your commander came with the tow package, the cut out would have been removed and your hitch would be found in that location. It sounds like you paid for something you did not get.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a way a could tell without removing the cut out? I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't have it. This Jeep dealer was a real sleeze ball to deal with.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Just lay down under the Jeep and see you the tow bar is there and the wiring harness for your trailer lights, They they are missing you got ripped off.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Keep in mind that you also paid for upgraded componants as part of that package.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is there a way a could tell without removing the cut out? I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't have it. This Jeep dealer was a real sleeze ball to deal with.
If you had a hitch it would have been cut out already. It either a cover or a hitchs. a49ersfan is right. You paid for something you didnt get.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the car at the end of August. What are the upgraded components that are included with the tow package? I guess I'll have to go back to the dealer with a quote to have the tow package installed. I have a list of options from the dealer that includes the tow package. That is one of the reasons why I bought the car. I'll give the dealer a chance to make this good or I will go to the Consumer Advocate at the State of Florida's office...where they licenses dealers. I hate to get ripped off!

·
Registered
205 Posts
We're certain that the hitch is part of the tow package... right?

Sounds dumb, but on other Jeeps, Patriot or Liberty if I remember right, they have a Trailer "Prep" package that includes a tranny cooler, but no hitch...

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
If I remember correctly the window sticker indicates tow package, and then lists all the componats including the hitch. I am at work so I cannot look at mine but I will check when I get home if someone doesn't beat me to it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought my '07 Commander used. It seems to have every conceivable extra on it. A have a window sticker that is not a Jeep one, but a dealer one. Last on the list is "Towing Package." The engine is the 4.7 V8 Flex Fuel and the car has Quadra-Trac II (I assumed it has QII because it has a "Low Gear" T bar). Listed under mechanical is Power Steering Cooler as well.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I remember correctly the window sticker indicates tow package, and then lists all the componats including the hitch. I am at work so I cannot look at mine but I will check when I get home if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Is there a way to get the original window sticker thru the VIN number?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
When I got my XK and found this forum there was a thread talking about how you could email Jeep and they would email back a build sheet.

Found it here. Details in post #6.

That will show you the way it left the factory. Anything that you and the dealer added later will not be on that list.

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts
When I got my XK and found this forum there was a thread talking about how you could email Jeep and they would email back a build sheet.

Found it here. Details in post #6.

That will show you the way it left the factory. Anything that you and the dealer added later will not be on that list.
They quit doing that. I think we overwhelmed them with request. Now they will tell you to see the dealer about it.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
My XK came with all the add ons to the tow group but not the hitch itself (HD engine cooler, trans cooler, electric fan, ect) My window sticker listed the items above but did not say "tow package" I think if it said "tow package" on the sticker then it means there should be a hitch. You should have gotten an invoice even if you purchased it used that would list the same things as on the window sticker. Sounds to me like they mismarked the window sticker, but I would try to get the hitch from them for free anyway.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My XK came with all the add ons to the tow group but not the hitch itself (HD engine cooler, trans cooler, electric fan, ect) My window sticker listed the items above but did not say "tow package" I think if it said "tow package" on the sticker then it means there should be a hitch. You should have gotten an invoice even if you purchased it used that would list the same things as on the window sticker. Sounds to me like they mismarked the window sticker, but I would try to get the hitch from them for free anyway.
You bet I'll try to get it. I'm going over to a Chysler Jeep dealer near me next week. I'll let you know how I made out.

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts
You bet I'll try to get it. I'm going over to a Chysler Jeep dealer near me next week. I'll let you know how I made out.
They are not going to give you a hitch for a vehicle that you bought used. Especially if you bought it somewhere else. Is the cutout in the rear bumper removed to make a place for the hitch ?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They are not going to give you a hitch for a vehicle that you bought used. Especially if you bought it somewhere else. Is the cutout in the rear bumper removed to make a place for the hitch ?
I'm going to the dealer near me to get a quote on putting all the equipment on. Then I'll go after the other dealer. It said on the sheet, "Towing Pkg." The compartment cover has not been removed. I wonder if I have everything but the hitch?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sounds to me like you're heading for a headache. No way in heck purchasing a used vehicle would I expect to have the dealer add equipment to the vehicle after I purchased it... and especially not at another dealer's cost. I could understand them putting a $80 hitch on it to make you happy, but I'll be shocked to see them retrofit your XK w/ a factory tow group.

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts
I'm going to the dealer near me to get a quote on putting all the equipment on. Then I'll go after the other dealer. It said on the sheet, "Towing Pkg." The compartment cover has not been removed. I wonder if I have everything but the hitch?
Sounds like you have the Tow Prep package which does not include the hitch.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts