Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting stuff on the roof rack is a pain, so thinking of adding a hitch step. Anyone know if these interfere with or continually trigger the parking assist system? I would like to leave installed all the time.

I have also found a Go Rhino step with sensors built in. Can I splice into the "C's" parking assist sensors at the bumper to power these up?

Thanks.

·
2,248 Posts
It probably would cause the park assist to continually beep. I know that when I put the hitch into the receiver it beeps as long as it is in reverse. When you say hitch step is this what you are referring to?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have a Bully tubular hitch step that I sometimes use. It does not set off the park assist. I've got the Mopar hitch - not sure how it would work with an aftermarket. It also does not give you a whole hell of a lot of footing.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I am always concerned with the tubular steps as you are already in an odd position when you use them and a flat surface would provide much better footing.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I am always concerned with the tubular steps as you are already in an odd position when you use them and a flat surface would provide much better footing.
Agreed. While I have not had a problem with mine, I also have not worked with anything particularly heavy or unwieldy on the cargo rack. I have small feet and don't weigh much, either.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
My trailer hitch with ball sets off the park-assist most of the time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My hitch step (similar to the one above) does not set off the park assist so I leave it on all the time.

·
2,248 Posts
They do make pin locks for receiver hitches.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies.
A local store has the Bully step WebJones is using. Going to have look today. However I am really looking for something longer. I want to keep the step installed all the time as much as a bumper protector as a step.
On the hunt for specs & wiring diagram, volts/amps, to see if I can tap into the bumper sensors to add/run ones that are factory mounted in a step.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts