Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spent all day wiring up my Commander for 110 power to run a holiday parade float for my kid's school. I saw the float earlier in the week and tested the power consumption. They kept adding lights, lights and more lights. In addition I need 3 amps @110 available for the electric piano.

I ended up buying the biggest inverter I could find. 3000 watts. I have it fused with 5 50 amp breakers in parallel, giving me 250 amps total. (the wattage equivalent of 3000 watts @ 110)

I mounted the inverter on the roof rack, along with an extra battery. My Commander looks a little Doc Brownish, at the moment. I guess I better not exceed 88.6 MPH with the float. LOL I had to solder new eyelet ends on a pair of jumper cables so I could bolt the connections. It is a little makeshift, but if it works well, I'm going to make it a permanent fixture for auxiliary power on the Commander. I'll have to find a spot to mount the inverter.

Does anyone know, are the areas behind the panels next to the 3rd seat basically hollow? (other than air ducts)

Thanks,

Well, off to the parade. (I hope this works)

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Does anyone know, are the areas behind the panels next to the 3rd seat basically hollow? (other than air ducts)
If you have the Boston Acoustics sound system the amplifier is behind the driver side 3rd row panel. If you have rear heat and a/c that is behind the passenger side 3rd row panel.

·
1,993 Posts
How big is the inverter? This is where I installed my little 400W one HERE I plan on adding a large 5000w one as well in the back. I have room in the back driver side behind the panel for one not a lot though the powerful inverters are kinda big. I also ripped out my jack storage and turned that into a large storage area HERE I also plan on using the space where the spare tire is as well. I want to put a fuel cell there but if I have to put the batteries and inverter there instead then I will.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Here it is atop the Commander.

Good thing I had an extra battery!

Here's the Float

The Float was drawing about 1.4 KW while rolling. I had 2 fully charged batteries to start with. I lasted the parade, but I had to rev the engine every so often. It could not keep up charging at idle. It was really nice not to have to have the kids sing over a generator though!

I really like having 3KW of 110AC available on board. So to make this thing sing, next questions. What is the standard output of a stock Commander Alternator. Where can I get/ do they make a high output alternator for the Commander? The 3000 watt inverter will draw 250 amps of 12v DC at full load. I would want an alternator with 200 to 250 amp output if one exists. This can't be a tough request. Anyone using an electric winch or plowing snow would want a similar alternator.

Nice job on the inverter install! This inverter I have is about 11" square and 3" thick.

·
2,248 Posts
I have a 3000 watt Xantrex invertor to power all of the entertainment A/C outlets in my motorhome.

It is powered by four 100 amp hours deep cycle batteries that are charged from either the shore power, generator, or engine alternator. I do know that you can get a 320 Amp alternator for a deisel engine. The big battery is for the engine.

Here is a link to the alternator manufacture.

http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_products/specs.php?item_detail_id=25028&item=A0014892AA&product=Alternator

Good luck with your project.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy $#!+!!! 390 AMPS! That one is even more than I need.

Thanks guys. Great info. I think I want to put some gauges on my system and see what I'm drawing. Then I'll know what alternator will best fit my needs. I'm guessing that the higher output at idle will be important for parade use.

Remember the good old days when Jeeps came with gauges standard....?

·
1,993 Posts
Holy $#!+!!! 390 AMPS! That one is even more than I need.

Thanks guys. Great info. I think I want to put some gauges on my system and see what I'm drawing. Then I'll know what alternator will best fit my needs. I'm guessing that the higher output at idle will be important for parade use.

Remember the good old days when Jeeps came with gauges standard....?
The programmer from super chips will display gauges so you can monitor what ever the computer can that might be an option. The idle amp is real important I think especially for parade use or winching both done at idle.

EDIT: you might want to look at getting an optima battery as well :)

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The programmer from super chips will display gauges so you can monitor what ever the computer can that might be an option. The idle amp is real important I think especially for parade use or winching both done at idle.

EDIT: you might want to look at getting an optima battery as well :)
I have a lot of classic cars, so a word of advice, do not get Optima batteries for vehicles that sit around a lot! I switched all my old cars over to Optimas and they just hate sitting around. Not a single one made it half way to the Warranty date. They did replace them at the pro-rated rate, but eventually I gave up. Now I use the plain old, cheap, old school batteries from the farm store. They last and last and last in the occasional use vehicles. I've had good luck with Optimas in daily use vehicles.---so yes, :)

The other thing on this project is Ihad to modify the front cross bar so it would fit on the side rails near the back. I would never have guessed they were different.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
The other thing on this project is Ihad to modify the front cross bar so it would fit on the side rails near the back. I would never have guessed they were different.
Yep, that's why one is marked front and the other rear. The rails actually curve sightly inward toward the rear of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually I did know they were different ahead of time. I just over looked in in my haste to get the electrical junk on top of the Jeep. I don't keep them on there unless I need them to haul stuff.

They had been off because I made and welded some big tie down support eyes out beyond the 4' line. I want to be able to put sheet of material up there and have the cross bars stick out past he sheets with a place to tie.
When finished, I painted the additions with truck bed liner, it really blends in pretty well with the powder coating.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have a lot of classic cars, so a word of advice, do not get Optima batteries for vehicles that sit around a lot! I switched all my old cars over to Optimas and they just hate sitting around. Not a single one made it half way to the Warranty date.
Is there a reason you don't use a trickle charger for the cars that sit around a lot?

:icon_cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts