Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been reading alot time to write a bit

Am planning a 2000km dirt road trip through Quebec and Labrador this summer and wanted to carrier 2 spare tires. Have found alot of different types on the site and on the web, so I took the plunge and fabbed up my own.

Started with a 12,000lb 2" receiver for the base and welded a 2 x 3 3/16 tube to it. I then cut to frame mounted supports that anchor the cross bar towards the end. There is no give or rattle in the cross member.

The hinge is made of 2 pieces of 1/4" stock welded to the Passenger side with a 1/2" bolt thought it. The swing member is also a 2 x 3, 3/16 piece that rest in the hitch tongue when closed.

I didn't build in a 2" reciever for towing cause I don't need it, I do have the 12,000lb hitch to hook too if I need to.

The up right from is 2 x 2,1/4 tubing with a 3/16 web support.

The next item is the mount for my 48" Hi/Low jack

Am still debating about a Gas can carrier on the drivers side.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Good plan and well executed. For your trek, I think a spare gas can is a good idea.

·
Registered
696 Posts
My brother is a certified welder, I need to have him start making me cool stuff for the XK

·
Premium Member
141 Posts

Looks real sweet! Glad to see that you can open your rear glass.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finished (I think)

Less then 2 weeks before the trip and I think I am finished. It is painted with Rocker Guard, the Hi Lift jack is mounted, the plate light and bracket are on and I have ordered a set O Quick fist rubber clamps for a shovel

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Looks Great thanks for sharring

1 - 8 of 8 Posts