Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. After looking at the two commercially available hidden winch mount kits (Steel Armadillo and Rocky Road Outfitters) and learning it would be weeks until I could get either, I decided to build my own.

Instead of trying to figure out all the mounting hole measurements etc, I started with the Rough Country 1189 JK mounting plate. This unit is the exact width needed to mount the plate using the Commander factory front tow hook bolting locations.

It would sorta work as is, but to make it right, I moved the fair-lead mount up 2" and forward 3", added gussets for support, and added 1" drop blocks to lower the free spool handle to reside below the grill.

I used 3" Grade 8 mounting bolts through the factory tow hook plates and frame holes and it really fits quite well...for less than $100 in materials.

Attachments

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys...sorry been away for so long. Finally had time to get the winch mount finished up and everything painted.

In answer to some of the questions raised, sturdy...very! Out perform, that is difficult to measure in a mount. Either it works, or it doesn't. It definitely works and since it uses the factory tow hook mounting points, it is as strong as the frame is. I really like the couple features mine has the others on the market do not...

1. I can see my cable spooling up properly/ or not so properly
2. I can select free spool without wallowing on my back in the mud or sand to reach it
3. I can plug in my controller conveniently

·
Registered
954 Posts
That looks really good! It's a very clean install. Great job.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys! I really like how it turned out. So far I have not had to use the winch, but I did push a car out of traffic with the push bar yesterday and it worked perfectly.

The winch is a Gen 2 Smittybult X20 12k lb with synthetic cable. I have run the X20 10k lb on a couple of my Wranglers and have had really good luck with them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Could you do a write up? I'm loving the look of this, also what is the trim on the bumper around the winch line? Where did you get it? Also what kind of brush guard is that?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The aluminum hawse fairlead comes with the X20 winch when ordered with a synthetic line. The brush guard is an Aries ordered from Amazon which I stripped and painted the same color as the offset color of my two-tone paint scheme, which happens to be a factory color from a Nissan Xterra. I will find time this weekend to do a better write-up and include some 3D drawings of the mods required to make the RC plate work on the Commander.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Better writeup with more pics and 3D drawings...

I first cut the bumper cover and the lower plastic crash support.

Attachments

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Next I modified the relay housing and moved the connector into the grill and the actual relays onto the driver side frame rail.

Attachments

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Next came the changes to the Rough Country 1189 JK Winch Plate. The 3D shows the changes, but I moved the fairlead plate out 3", up 2.5", and added gussets for strength. You will notice I had to round one so the winch motor would not touch. In addition, I added 1 inch plate steel block to lower the entire mounting plate so the Free/Spool lever would be below the grill level. You will also notice I enlarged the opening below the fairlead mount so my synthetic cable would not drag on the steel plate.

Attachments

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After that it was a matter of installing the winch, reinstalling the crash bar, and finally the bumper cover. Cutting the holes in the bumper and then mounting the fairlead (hawse lead in my case). I was fortunate to have the original bumper to cut on first since I was replacing it with a new bumper cover when I did the two-tone paint.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts