Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so any of you guys that do go offroad in the Commander know how much the engine compartment heats up. So in the next couple of months, I am going to go old sckool and cut my hood and install some louvers to cool things down.
Anyone done this yet? There are lots of louvers available from the differnt 4X4 sites, just a matter of finding some that will fit the space

·
Registered
809 Posts
Like the 5.9 Grand Cherokee had?

Or, I've always wanted to cut "veiwports" out of the sides of the cowl (where BOSS 429 would go). Maybe you can try it first for me!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Something more like these (although these ones are too big)
car15_sm.jpg

·
Registered
809 Posts
I like it. Color matched or contrast?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Colour matched or not....that is the question...
I am going to get the 4XC bush bar and sliders which are semigloss krinkle so I was thinking of doing the louvers the same

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
i'd definitely be interested in a set. it would definitely up horsepower if you've got a cold air intake and overall engine coolness. has anyone ever seen a regular hood scoop like you see on a Subaru WRX?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Color matched if they're mounted topside, unpainted black plastic if they're mounted from the inside, Shaker style.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From all the reading I have done, the older vehicles used to run at about 150-170 degrees. Now the average is 21. Whenever I go off road, I generally stop for a bit and lift the hood or pop the hood while I am driving because of the intense heat in the engine bay. I can't help but think functional scoops have gotta help. AEV does a hood for the Wrangler for a reason and all the military vehicles have cooling too

·
Registered
77 Posts
funny i read this post last night, then today at the gas station i saw noticed a pair of border patrol tahoes that had these same louvers bolted to the hood. no sir, i didnt like them at all. they were white, and just slapped on with exposed bolts and everything. would be ok for a jeep or hummer, but not commanders or tahoes. its a little too rugged for a vehicle with such clean lines. that being said, i would still love to have a pair of louvers (or one big one) installed in my hood, just not bolted to the top. i'd prefer them to look like part of the hood, not so much an add-on. or at least not on top, maybe if they were mounted to the bottom of the hood and stuck out through a cut out? painted matte black to match the plastic trim and it would look killer!

but what if instead of louvers, you just cut a large square out of the top of the cowl and installed a mesh underneath? something durable like perforated steel? here's an example of what i'm talking about (but larger of course):

·
Registered
134 Posts
how about real louvers cut in the hood. I had that done on my '88 Comanche because I was always running hot off road. Sorry I don't have a better pic. I'll be home tomorrow and add one.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
how about real louvers cut in the hood. I had that done on my '88 Comanche because I was always running hot off road. Sorry I don't have a better pic. I'll be home tomorrow and add one.
how much did you pay to have those cut into your hood? or did you buy an aftermarket hood that already had them? there's absolutely nothing out there in the way of commander hoods, just universal scoops and louvers. great comanche btw. i've always loved those you just dont see them very often

·
Registered
77 Posts
here's a pic of what i was referring to with the perforated steel under cut outs. at least this way you have complete control over size, shape, and placement vs having to work with the design of the aftermarket louvers. not sure if there would be any downfalls to this idea though, but i cant think of any.

·
Registered
134 Posts
how much did you pay to have those cut into your hood? or did you buy an aftermarket hood that already had them? there's absolutely nothing out there in the way of commander hoods, just universal scoops and louvers. great comanche btw. i've always loved those you just dont see them very often
When I lived in Calif. a place in Lancaster did them they are cut into the hood, I think around 90 of them. He had a Comanche hood outside his shop I saw while driving by. I was told the guy he did it for never came back to get it. I traded him my hood and a 100 bucks, I thought it was a steal.

·
Registered
134 Posts
here's a pic of what i was referring to with the perforated steel under cut outs. at least this way you have complete control over size, shape, and placement vs having to work with the design of the aftermarket louvers. not sure if there would be any downfalls to this idea though, but i cant think of any.

sweet Cherokee. Is that yours? I'll bet you have fun in Imperial with that. If there is one thing I miss about Calif. it is the amount of open area to off-road.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
These look great, but what about rain/snow? Is there some sort of tray/diffuser to let the heat out and keep water out? I also like the ones on the side of the hood, like a Super Duty Ford. I wonder if it would be possible to put them on the rear edges of the hood? :icon_confused:

·
Registered
77 Posts
These look great, but what about rain/snow? Is there some sort of tray/diffuser to let the heat out and keep water out? I also like the ones on the side of the hood, like a Super Duty Ford. I wonder if it would be possible to put them on the rear edges of the hood? :icon_confused:
as long as you're not driving with an exposed throttle body i think you'd be pretty safe from a little water in the engine bay ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts