Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday the horn on my 2006 Commander 4x4 3.7 started blowing on its own. It was not in panic mode via the key fob, we pushed every button. The horn was blowing with the car on, off, in idle and when going down the road. Got some interesting hand signals from my fellow motorists. Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?:confused: We took it to the dealer and it's their problem now.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My dad had a '60 Chrysler Imperial Station Wagon that that used to happen to every time it got bitter cold (and usually at some godforsaken hour of the night). We'd just pop the hood and pull the plugs on the horns. Not sure how relavent that is to you, but it reminded me of a great car! Thanks for the trip in the way back machine.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It happaned to to me once when I had my 02' Jeep liberty. I had to disconect the battery terminal because it wouldn't stop honking and the headlights wouldn't stop flashing.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I had a Yugo that would do that once. It would get water between the contacts in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Horn mods

I see people changing everythign but the horn,.
I used to have a horn from an old ***ol motorcoach on my Gremlin. When I hit the horn, the car went backwards......I should find a horn to add, not like the general lee, but soemthing unique anyway.

Suggestions? No diesel truck horns........

·
Registered
324 Posts
PolarBZ said:
I had a Yugo that would do that once. It would get water between the contacts in the steering wheel.
So you was that person with the Yugo:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New update. They did not have to replace the steering column. They replaced the SCM steering control module. According to the invoice they said the horn switch was stuck, they used on line diagrams to fault trace and found that the SCM steering control module internal failed. Hope this is the end of this saga. This was a 2 day repair process. I suspect most of the delay was tracking down the problem, so they could replace a $20 part.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts