Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2007 limited commander Thursday. Since then, i've noticed 2 different times where the commander was parked in the driveway and the horn will randomly start sounding over and over as if someone hit the panic button. Has anyone else experienced this? I posted another message a few days ago asking about a remote that came with the car, which turned out to be some sort of lo-jack device. But i was under the impression that the lo-jack device was only to monitor the vehicles location. I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with the horn sounding all on its own.

I dont think the commander has any other sort of alarm system, because after its locked, i can rock the vehicle, kick the tires and reach inside the window without sounding off any kind of alarm

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Are the doors unlocking when the horn sounds? Or are they trying to lock again? Maybe your remote is sticking. What does the other remote look like? Does it have a single button? When I got my Commander it had a second remote that ended up being a remote starter. If it only has one button try pushing it for 2 seconds release for 2 and push it again for 2 seconds. The lights will flash and it will start if it's a starter.
I've never heard of a lojack with a remote.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the doors unlocking when the horn sounds? Or are they trying to lock again? Maybe your remote is sticking. What does the other remote look like? Does it have a single button? When I got my Commander it had a second remote that ended up being a remote starter. If it only has one button try pushing it for 2 seconds release for 2 and push it again for 2 seconds. The lights will flash and it will start if it's a starter.
I've never heard of a lojack with a remote.
the doors aren't trying to lock or unlock when it happens. when it happened this morning, the commander had actually been parked in the driveway all night and hadn't been touched in hours. the first time, it happened in the middle of the night after I went to bed. the other remotes actually dont have any buttons. there isn't even any writing on them other than the fcc number, which is how I identified it was some sort of lo-jack transmitter.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Thanks for the help. I'll be sure to look at the dash next time. It is extremely annoying. It did it again a 4:00 this morning.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what exactly does the alarm protect? i have the blinking red light in the dash that the owners manual suggests is the alarm. but i tried again this evening to get it to go off and couldn't. i kicked the tires, tried opening the door, and rocked the jeep back and forth. nothing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the alarm have to be going off to see if the dash says the lift gate is open? By the time the alarm starts going off and I get outside to look, it has already stopped and the dash doesn't say anything.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just called the dealership to get a price on fixing the lift gate problem. I told them the TSB number and told them I thought I was experiencing this because my alarm continues to randomly go off on its own. He said that's not what I'm experiencing, because the TSB doesn't state anything about the alarm. He said I would have to bring it in, and the alarm would have to go off for them to know what it is. This would almost be impossible since it is completely random. Does anybody have any suggestions? I've read of a few people just disconnecting the lift gate sensor all together.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Yeah screw taking it to the dealer!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i could still use some help on this. dealership says the jeep would have to recreate the problem for them to know what it is, which would be near impossible unless i just left it there for a few days and they stood next to it waiting. it went off again at 3:00 this morning. I can't get outside fast enough to see if the dash says a door is ajar. i have read on other forums that people with this problem in cherokees drive down the road and the interior lights come on and the door chime dings. i've never had this happen before.

will the interior lights coming on while the alarm is going off be an indicator that it is a door ajar? if so, i could park the jeep next to my window and be able to look out the window the next time it goes off. please help! its bad enough that i'm woken up nearly every night, but i keep awaiting a phone call from one of the neighbors telling me that it is waking them up

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If I use the power locks on the inside to lock the jeep before getting out instead of the key fob, will that arm the alarm too?
Or would disconnecting the battery and allowing everything to reset do any good? I'm starting to wonder if it's actually the lift gate TSB since the dash never says door ajar and we've never had the door ajar go off while driving

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
searching google, it seems all jeep models have this issue. i just read on a wrangler forum that someone was having this problem, and the dealership flashed some kind of update and it fixed it.

another guy said he had a liberty, cherokee and commander (all different years) suffer from this problem when the battery started getting low.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i am still looking for a solution, but i also have an update that may help someone identify the problem. there have been a few times when i've started my other vehicle which is parked right next to the commander, and as soon as i start the vehicle, the commanders horn beeps 3 or 4 times. almost like it does when you unlock it. it does this as soon as the engine starts up.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Almost sounds like the Commander is picking up a radio signal that is on the same frequency from your other vehicle.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
One possibility is a bad horn relay, it should be the same relay as another 4 or 5 relays in the box, swap the horn relay with another and see if the problem goes away.

If the horn is NOT sounding when it should, like pressing the horn button on the steering wheel, or when you lock the car with the remote, that would be another symptom of a bad relay. But, this symptom doesn't have to be present for it to be a bad relay, as well, its just as likely it could be something else.

If it does, then buy new relay and replace the bad one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts