Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone upgraded their horn? The horn in our trucks is laughable..

I'd love to get something similar to that of semi, etc.. that deep throaty air horn sound.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol.. I knew a few guys who put these on their F250's, etc.. LOUDDDDddddd...

Not the sound I'd like, though..

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I need a train horn for my smart :)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I had a set of twin tone Hadleys (just like on an 18 wheeler) with the celing mounted pull chain and everything on my last van:)

... they need a pretty good ar compressor to get blasting .. but I had a 1 HP air compressor on that van.

AND ..... I saved them when I sold it ... I'm thinking of getting air on the Commander anyway, if I do I will definaltey put the Hadleys on

·
Registered
686 Posts
There was this one guy in high school with a souped up Ford pickup that had the horn from JC Whitney that played tunes. THey'd drive around blasting "Dixie" all the time. Seems like in the South in the late 70's/early 80's every high school had one of these clowns. :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I had a set of twin tone Hadleys (just like on an 18 wheeler) with the celing mounted pull chain and everything on my last van:)

... they need a pretty good ar compressor to get blasting .. but I had a 1 HP air compressor on that van.

AND ..... I saved them when I sold it ... I'm thinking of getting air on the Commander anyway, if I do I will definaltey put the Hadleys on
That's similar to what I'm looking for.. Any idea of a cost? Or where to buy?

http://www.hadley-products.com/catalog/Catalog.aspx?cmd=prd&div=3&cat=52&prd=17

This is what I'm thinking...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'm sure the pricetag matches how nice they look :(
Hmm .... all we need is some justification then ...

How's this .... if the louder horns helps avoid even one acident .. then they are paid for :)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I run Hadley horns off my Viair system, very nice and loud.
What modle of Viair system' system is it .. . got a link? .. can you air up your tires or run an air tools with it?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Tossing those wimpy horns was one of the first things I did. If you remove the air box, there's easy access to the horns. There's also quite a bit of room underneath the air box too.

I used a set of ''Italian'' type air horns because they're high-pitched, shrill, and loud. They're the type with a small compressor that makes air only while it's running. I made a bracket for the compressor that hangs from the horn's original mounting bolt. The trumpets, which are about 6 and 8 inches long, aim right at the grill on the passenger side.

There's probably enough room underneath for a bigger compressor, but an air tank would have to go somewhere else unless it's one of those football sized tanks such as ARB uses. That could mount behind the front fascia.

On edit: my Toyota Landcruiser (Long since sold) had a 3 gallon tank bolted up underneath. It was an off-the-shelf tank complete with a compressor mounting plate, but it was mounted upside down with it's flange/feet brackets. An ARB compressor was under the hood. I could reach underneath and plug in an air hose. On the XK, you'd have to mount the spare tire somewhere else, and there would then be enough room for a tank.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting.

There is a shop near my office that has Hornblaster kits in stock. I didn't realize this, but hornblaster also offers a air horn too, not just the train horns. I'll have to swing in there and get a price.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Tossing those wimpy horns was one of the first things I did. If you remove the air box, there's easy access to the horns. There's also quite a bit of room underneath the air box too.

I used a set of ''Italian'' type air horns because they're high-pitched, shrill, and loud. They're the type with a small compressor that makes air only while it's running.
I was planning on using that set up on my old van but switched to the Hadleys ... the only reason is the higher pitch of air horns you describe, is used universaly on coffee trucks in our area .. they are REALLY loud ... but I didn;t want to sound like a coffee truck :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts