Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my roadtrip home tonight I was toggling through the trip computer (playing the MPG game) and noticed that the illuminated buttons, bezel, and surrounding trim were hot to the touch. Has anyone else experienced this? The dimmer was on its brightest setting as it always is, and I can't tell if this is the beginning of an electrical meltdown or a standard operation that I've just never noticed.

Note: It did decrease in temperature when I turned the dimmer down, and back up when back up. Takes about 30 minutes in either direction. Shutting the lights car off (when filling up the tank) and then turning everything on again rendered the same effect.

·
Registered
248 Posts
How hot? Sometimes those bulbs back there are pretty close to the plastics so they can heat up a bit when on high. Probably nothing to worry about unless the colors are fading or you see something melting. :)

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I always attributed the hot or warm buttons to the heat/vent ducts. Did you have the heat on high? I hadn't thought about the lights being the cause.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always attributed the hot or warm buttons to the heat/vent ducts. Did you have the heat on high? I hadn't thought about the lights being the cause.
Thought that might be the case too, but I ran the A/C for a bit to test this theory and the buttons stayed hot. The heat really seams to be consummate with the lights; focused around illuminated areas and the brighter the hotter. But what's interesting is that the lights on the shifter housing give off no heat.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
We have another thread on this somewhere. The heat is from the radio. Mine gets hot too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts