Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I just came back from a long road trip from seeing my parents and family with the baby and wife. While unpacking last night, there was a significant amount of heat on one of the bags I pulled from the cargo space in the back. I placed my hands on the passenger side, rear quarter panel, and whew, "WAS IT HOT!". Does anyone know what is underneath here?

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
That is where the rear heat and air is. Check your rear heat and air to see if you had it on. And if it was you probably had the lower vents blocked with your stuff.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I did the same exact thing last night... drove a 4 hour road trip, picked up our dog from the Petsmart Hotel and had the rear air on... when it came time to remove the bags, that side of the Jeep was really hot... being as I had the air on, I assumed it was from that!

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm guessing it was from the rear heat too.

I just about got into that myself. I went back to check before turning it on, and it was set to hot and the vent mode. The weather was bad not long ago, so that's where it ended up.

Now, it's set to the farthest into the blue and upper vent mode. It's easy to forget where the temp knob's set since the controls are supposed to be for the 3rd row passengers to use.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
The rear heat and air can be turned on and off by the button on the dash.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Also your tail pipe is directly under the passenger side, which makes a bend up and over the rear axle placing it close to the area.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did the same exact thing last night... drove a 4 hour road trip, picked up our dog from the Petsmart Hotel and had the rear air on... when it came time to remove the bags, that side of the Jeep was really hot... being as I had the air on, I assumed it was from that!
It's just utterly confusing though, running the A/C extremely cold and the rear controls set to off...that's HOT I tell ya. I have to also question about the exhaust producing that amount of heat too, especially the fact while cruising, the heat should be blowing away (would only go up the chassis if ya were barely moving, or stationary). Still, I'd like to know what's causing this for sure.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Our daughter Robochick 84 had the same problem. On a family outing in the winter, with temps down in the 20's, it got so hot I couldn't hardly even sit back there. I had to move away from it as much as possible which isn't easy with the small space back there. I thought it was going to burn me. We turned the dials to off in the back and she turned the controls off in the front and it was still hot. She took it the dealer, but I can't remember if they got it figured out or not. I will e-mail her and see if the problem was figured out or not.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
the heater core in the rear will still get hot even if the control is turned to off. It should not get to the burning point but there is still coolant passing through it as the engine is running. You can test it to see if it is the heater by letting the engine warm up. Then check the area in the rear to see if it is also warm. Then turn the rear control to the heat setting and turn it on HIGH and see if the heat from the one spot goes away.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I think you guys need to make sure the dash button is turned off.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I never turn my dash button on and the rear vents are left in the off position as I am always by myself in the vehicle and there is no need. I didn't even know if was happening until I had passengers in the third row and it nearly burned their legs.

Took it into the dealer, and they felt of it and said it was not "hot". If I had a real concern they would try to work with Chrysler Engineers to put a layer of insulation on the inside.

We never put our cats on that side because we do not want them exposed to the heat, and we do not put luggage in the back due to it. I would warn anyone with small children who may ride back there because if they fell asleep it could easily burn their legs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts