Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my Rocky Road lift. I had to get them to email me the installation instructions, but that is the only complaint to this point. I am out of town for business this weekend but hope to get it installed the week of 7/21/08. I plan on using a local 4x4 shop in Houston to install it. They have never done a Rocky Road lift and are interested in trying it. Gave me a price of $350 with alignment. I do not think that is too bad since I can work while they install it and not have to get some of the tools needed, so I will break close to even. I will post pictures of before and after for those who want to see a stock and lifted without wheels and tires. Those are coming next.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Welcome to forum :)

alot of guys in here have the RR lift installed and they will help you soon. but I think $350 for installation is alot.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I paid $350 to have mine installed also. I've seen cheaper here in the forum, but it all depends on where you're at. Welcome aboard!!!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
In another thread we figured out that the RR lift maintains the Commander unleveled by almost an inch, and lift the front and rear by 2.5".

it will be good if you can make some detailed measurements before and after the lift to see how much exactly the RR lifted the Commander in both ends.

we used the distance between the side moldings and the ground for the measurements.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Welcome HustonTiger, I also have the RR lift and installed it myself. The price you are paying is a fair price as I still has to have mine aligned.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Looks awsome. Now all you have to do is install some bigger tires!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the search is on for bigger tires and new wheels. As far as the price to install the lift, I did not mind paying it. I travel a lot with my job so it is hard for me to plan an open weekend to work on it myself. I was able to work on my laptop while they installed it so I broke even with the cost and not missing a days pay. :)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Nice looking lifted XK! We have had a lot of discussion about wheel/tires/sizes etc. on this forum. Good luck with the search:D

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Definitely like the lifted look. Looks great and congrats.

·
Registered
735 Posts
congrats it looks great. alot better then the stock height and in your pics it shows how the 2in lift actually does make a very noticable difference. thank you for the post goodluck

·
Registered
208 Posts
You mentioned that you're happy with the ride (post-lift, I presume). Is there any noticeable difference, or is it the same ride as stock? That's one of the things that's been bugging me a little about lifting my XK.

Thanks for the pics and info...

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
LOts of great information on tires on this forum, I am looking at the 255/75/17's just need a few more bucks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In my opinion the ride feels a little stiffer but not too bad. I thought the stock ride was too soft. I felt like it floated too much. I drive a 50 mile roundtrip daily to work. It is on interstate and side streets but some of the roads are not that smooth and I like the way the lift handles all the conditions.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
great before and after pics. thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well, I finally decided on wheels and tires. I ordered and and had them installed at a local Discount Tire. The wheels are **** Cepek DC-1 Black. They are 18 x 9 with a 4.53" backspace (-12 mm offset). The tires are Cooper Zeon LTZ, 285/60R18. Had to beat the pinch welds back on both side as everyone else has done.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
That looks good. I'm surprised that you fit that wide of a tire on a 2" lift.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts