Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on 4x4now.com. Are thes accurate discriptions?

Trail Difficulty Ratings
1 All weather road; 4WD not needed.

1 1/2 Graded road; 4WD may be needed in poor weather.

2 Unimproved or rarely graded road. 4WD or extra clearance needed at times, with no special driving skills required.

2 1/2 Road rarely maintained, 4WD, good clearance, low gears often needed, with some extra care and a bit of driving experience useful.

3 Road in difficult terrain, rarely maintained, 4WD, good clearance, and low gears essential, with some driving skill and daring required.

3 1/2 Road in difficult terrain, probably maintained only by occasional users. Excellent stock truck or utility vehicle required, with considerable driving skill and daring needed.

4 Trail either never bladed or badly eroded. Stock vehicles are in jeopardy. Modifications for improved off-road performance and top driving skills needed.

4 + We can hardly improve on the original description written a few years ago by Jack Bickers: "with driving by World Class Yahoo Jeepers not much concerned with vehicle durability or personal safety." It is common to have as many as 10 percent of the vehicles experience major mechanical failures (gears, axles, driveshafts) on these trails.

Can this be made a "sticky"?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Different ratings are given by different organizations. JJUSA gives ratings by number and symbols.

1-2 (green circle) - Obstacles and terrain are relatively easy to navigate. In optimum weather conditions, some trails may not require continual use of four-wheel drive (4WD).

3-5 (blue square) - Moderately demanding. Challenge for novice drivers. Obstacles may include: mud holes, boulders, and streams. Requires 4WD with 4-LO.

6-7 (yellow triangle) - Demanding. Challenge for most skill levels. Mud holes get deeper, boulders get larger, and climbs get steeper.Requires 4WD with 4-LO.

8-9 (black diamond) - Very demanding. Likelihood of getting stuck is high. Mud holes may be deep and rock climbing is more arduous. Lifts and lockers are helpful. Requires 4WD with 4-LO.

10 (double black diamond) - Extremely demanding. Reserved for the toughest off-road trip in the U.S.A. — the Rubicon Trail. Requires 4WD with 4-LO. (Not recommended for Jeep Patriot, Compass, Liberty, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, or Commander.)

Other Groups will rate by just a color designation or different letters, number, or symbols but in terms of a scale both the first post and the JJUSA are an accurate to describe the least to most difficult of trail ratings.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
"Not recommended for Jeep Patriot, Compass, Liberty, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, or Commander."

I'd say not recommended for STOCK Commanders... lifted and bigger tires and rails and you might get through with minimal damage.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
"Not recommended for Jeep Patriot, Compass, Liberty, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, or Commander."

I'd say not recommended for STOCK Commanders... lifted and bigger tires and rails and you might get through with minimal damage.
Those are the words of JJUSA, not me. I say if you are either brave or stupid enough you can try to drive anything anywhere.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Those are the words of JJUSA, not me. I say if you are either brave or stupid enough you can try to drive anything anywhere.
Agreed......

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Give me a year or so and I bet my Commander will make it through with ease!

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Give me a year or so and I bet my Commander will make it through with ease!
Let me know when you plan on going, maybe we can make it a group gathering!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Sounds like a plan!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Trail Rating Question

I saw a Jeep Commander the other day and it was 4x4 and everything. Then I noticed it did not have the trail rated badge and wanted to know what makes some commander 4x4s trail rated and others not?

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
I saw a Jeep Commander the other day and it was 4x4 and everything. Then I noticed it did not have the trail rated badge and wanted to know what makes some commander 4x4s trail rated and others not?
Had you used the search function you would have found these threads:

What makes a Jeep "Trail Rated"?

Wanted Trail rated emblem

Trail Rated Badge?

Trail Rated?

Trail Rated

Trail Rated Badge

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/search.php?searchid=456390# Trail Rated Badge

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Wow, this forum has a high learning curve and low tolerance!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Xtreme is you XK a V6 model? If it is then they are not trail rated. I asked the same thing when I first bought my XK 3 months ago.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Ok, sorry if this was in one of the above mentioned threads... (I did read through all of them) but, I didn't see a clear answer to which 4WD system I have. ( I bought my XK used) Is this correct? (I have the 4.7 with the "stiking batch")
5.7 XK's that are trail rated (with the badge) ONLY have the Quadra-DRIVE II 4WD system.
and....
4.7 XK's that are trail rated (with badge) only come with the Quadra-TRAC II 4WD system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow, if some of you guys would have read the question you would probably figure out what I was really asking. I know what makes it trail rated, im not ignorant. The question is why are some Commanders not trail rated even when they have 4 wheel drive. Mine IS TRAIL RATED and i saw one that was 4 wheel but wasn't. Sorry Ranger didn't realize you owned this forum perhaps I am out driving my Jeep while you are at home looking over posts to reply that may not meet your needs. Thanks to you guys that attempted to answer and not bash others.

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
Wow, if some of you guys would have read the question you would probably figure out what I was really asking. I know what makes it trail rated, im not ignorant. The question is why are some Commanders not trail rated even when they have 4 wheel drive. Mine IS TRAIL RATED and i saw one that was 4 wheel but wasn't. Sorry Ranger didn't realize you owned this forum perhaps I am out driving my Jeep while you are at home looking over posts to reply that may not meet your needs. Thanks to you guys that attempted to answer and not bash others.
And WOW, if you had read the links I provided you would know the answer. One of the requirements for a Jeep to be Trail-Rated is that it that it be equiped with 4Lo. So yes, you can have a 4WD Jeep that is not Trail-Rated.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
And... The badge may have been removed by the owner or accidently left off at the factory! Just because you do not see a badge does not mean the Jeep is not trail rated. Some people even add the badge because they feel left out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It must suck to be as cool as you. Don't really have the time to read 5,000 posts. Anyways, I didn't realize a Jeep Commander would have the 4x4 emblem if it didn't have 4lo. And if you would read my post, you would see I said thanks to the people that helped. But Im off this so called "help" forum. A note to everyone else, make sure you read every single post to make sure nobody has mentioned your topic in the past 3 years or you will get put through the ringer for it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts