Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 commander that has an exterior sticker that I would like to remove. I think the exterior sticker is from the origional dealer and is faiding and partially peeling. Would it be a good idea to use an air compressor to try and peel it off? or a solvent/cleaner to try and remove it? Any help is greatly appreciated!! :eyemouth:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Is it a decal on the paint? Window?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I'm not sure what solvent would work but not damage the paint. Some one surely knows and will be along. Several people have de-badged using dental floss, but it doesn't sound effective for a decal.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I have a 2007 Commander that had pin stripes on it and I removed them last week. I used "Goof Off" to remove the adhesive. The "Goof Off" that I used was safe for automotive finishes.........it said one of the uses was for removing bugs and tar from cars. After I was finished I washed my Jeep to make sure the Goof Off was removed. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
peel it off with your fingernail. set the Jeep in the sun for a couple hours and the decal will soften a bit. as far as a solvent goes, be careful. There is a product called Goo-Gone that you can get at walmart or autozone probably. it should work and not be too strong. try on a spot in the doorjamb first. wax the spot when youre finished.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great ideas! I am pretty sure I have some goo gone somewhere around here, so I will try that later when it cools off.... Thanks for the help!!!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Use a hair dryer or heat gun on LOW to gently heat the sticker and then gently peel it off. The adhesive should come off with the sticker, but using Goo Gone or similar will help with any that remains.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have used a single blade razor to replace thos dealer decals before, you just have to be careful and run the blade along the top of the paint. Definately takes patience though.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Although some people can do this with a blade, very few succeed without some paint cutting.

I second, third, and fourth the hairdryer, fingernail technique and have done so for years.
Be patient, sometimes the sticker comes off in tiny pieces but stay with it....you'll prevail.

I have found mineral spirits effective on the adhesive as well and once clean, a coat of cleaner wax gets the last of it off.

Rob

·
Registered
23 Posts
removing dealership decals

I use to work for a couple of dealerships. I've removed dozens of these...The best/easiest way is to use a heat gun. Hold it approx. 6 inches away(in a sweeping motion to avoid paint damage), peel with your fingernail slowly to remove majority of the adhesive. Your gonna have a little bit of residue, so use (Alot) glass cleaner and wipe with a paper towel. You should be good to go...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
If you run across some of these pick up a couple.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-7498-STRIPE-WHEEL-W-ARBOR/dp/B0013HHNHC
Its basically a the same material as a pencil eraser but is shaped like a disk that fits on a tool like a cut-off wheel or on a high speed drill. Some times you can find them at discount tool sales, I wouldnt pay this price for one. We buy em by the case at work and get a free tool with them. An auto body supply store has them. We call them " stripe erasers ".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts