Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a commander(specs in signature). I have the stock original Goodyear Forteras with 41,000 miles. They are not bald, but I also don't want to get too close. What's the best way to tell when to get new tires. I'm used to having mustangs with low profile and had to change a lot more often.:confused:

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Do the Lincoln Penny test, insert the penny into your tread with Lincoln's head upside down. If any part of the head does not disappear into your tread then your tires need replacing. Your tire should also have wear bars that you can look for, if you find the bars then the tread is too short.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Recently, they've scrapped the penny technique, and started using the quarter instead. Same method as the penny trick that a49er mentioned, but use a quarter instead. That's a good judge as to if you need tires.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
That would make sence as the quarter is taller and so are the current treads. Thanks for the updated info sciron4x4.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
If you look at the side wall and you see the word "Fortera" then you probably need new tires. :)

I say that only because they are not good offroad tires. I don't know if that is your intention or not, but I have lost faith in Goodyear tires.

The quarter test as mentioned is a good test to determin tread life however.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Hey, the Goodyear Silent Armors are good tires, so not all Goodyears are worthless. If you're just using the Fortera's for regular road and light snow, it's a good tire. Each tire has it's own purpose.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
The penny test is based upon 2/32", which is pretty much the minimum tread depth according to the law. Here in NY, you need that much tread to pass the state inspection.

I believe the quarter test is based upon having 4/32" of tread remaining. Personally, that would be my minimum depth, just for driving on the street in the summer. If I wanted to drive on a trail or drive in foul weather (or snow) I would definitely want more than 4/32" of tread remaining.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Can the coins and get a real tread depth gauge. They are inexpensive and not subject to stamping varience.[coins]

Rule of thumb, all tires, cars,trucks,motorcycles, 3/32 is minimum safe depth. Beyond that, the tire will hydroplane. It no longer has the capability to sipe water from tread center to outside.

Now look gang, no manufacturer sells a car with crummy tires.
However, often the tires do not meet our designated needs.

The Fortera's are very good general road tires. They are quiet, sipe water well, and cut snow to pavement with relative ease. They wear well if rotated, correctly inflated, and the vehicle is kept in alignment.

If I was to use [try to use] the tires that 4.7 has in our snow storms it would be a disaster.
They are too wide and would end up going into flotation. Not so good on snow, but great on loose terrain.

Same goes for Fohn Jargo. His photo has his Jeep on sand. If its loose sand a wider high flotation tire is required.

The Forteras would sink to the control arms in that situation.

Now JEEP boi has attained 41k miles. In Florida they use that evil aggregate to pave roads. The stuff is like driving on sandpaper, so if he has achieved 41k he definatly stays on top of his tire maintenence. In his case it sounds as though the Fortera's might have been the right tire and if it was me, I'd put the same thing back on for another 41k or more miles.

Yep, there I go again........my $.02 Rob

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I agree that the forterra's are good tires but as a general rule of thumb I say if your tires are stock size then you probably need new ones (BIG ONES!).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys, thanks for all the quick responses. Very funny Fohn Jargo, I'm actually upgrading to BFG's All-Terrain 245/75r17. I'm not a big fan of Goodyear although robby had a lot of good points. The Forteras have served me well so far with no problems(knock on wood).

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Just to clarify, I'm not knocking the Fortera's as a bad tire for the road, only for the off road.

The photo I have in my signature was taken at Beaver Lake when the water was very low. The bottom is kind of a gravel texture.

I still have about 5000 more miles worth of tread on the Fortera's I have on the back. I needed new front ones as they were gone at 40k. That probably has more to do with my driving style (which is to fast at times) than the tire it's self.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
robby said:
Now look gang, no manufacturer sells a car with crummy tires.
Yep, there I go again........my $.02 Rob
Not to be argumentative, but I just got a notice of a class action settlement with Contenental on the tires that came on my '06 Chrysler 300.....The tires wore out too quickly.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Robby - help me understand....

Why are 4.7's tires not good in snow? They are wider and more agressive tread...we have also nickenamed him the snowman because he sees more snow than our brother AKfossil in Alaska......so it does not make sense to me why he would buy that tire if it is not a good snow tire.

I am not arguing your point, I just don't understand.....

And, what would make a good sand tire?

Thanks

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
cico7 said:
Robby - help me understand....

Why are 4.7's tires not good in snow? They are wider and more agressive tread...we have also nickenamed him the snowman because he sees more snow than our brother AKfossil in Alaska......so it does not make sense to me why he would buy that tire if it is not a good snow tire.

I am not arguing your point, I just don't understand.....

And, what would make a good sand tire?

Thanks
Some people feel that wider tires are not good for snow. I don't think that's always the case though... In sand, floatation is they key. You want a wider footprint instead of a narrow one that will sink into the sand. The same can be said of snow, especially DEEP snow. When it comes to moderate snow on the roads, then narrow tires can have an advantage because they will be able to slice through the snow and reach the pavement more easily than wider tires. But for deep snow (especially off road), I'd rather take my chances with wider tires.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
TR4Runner has got it correct in my opinion.
In winter I'm dealing with roads plowed and salted maybe an hour before.The snow is building again and the salt has become ineffective.
I need a tire that will cut to pavement and not pack its treads. The width of the stock tire is advantageous because it puts the weight of the vehicle on a smaller contact patch, and thus, it can cut to pavement. If I ran a wider tire on this surface, or a more aggressive tread, the tire would apply less downforce per square inch of footprint and the tire would float up on top of the snow. If I utilize a more aggressive tread I will be putting less rubber on the road. That won't work on ice or hardpack snow.
So, for this situation I need maximum downforce to cut, and maximum rubber to provide reasonable grip on ice.
Hope that helped.
........Rob

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
cico7,

I think I should have said no manufacturer KNOWINGLY installs substandard tires.
I'm confident that Ford did not knowingly install tires that had a construction fault on Explorers.
I'm just as confident Chrysler did not knowingly install a potentially substandard Continental. [Well known as a first rate European tire]

...........Rob

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've got 46.6k miles on my Forteras. They may make it to 50k, but we are looking at possibly a lift around bonus time that will get us bigger tires. We've also wheeled the heck out of these tires and have performed pretty impressively.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts