Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone tell me how to check my 2006 commander transmission fluid? Started having a whining noise today while accelerating.

·
Registered
471 Posts
4.7 and 5.7 there is a dip stick near the reform wall. 3.7 is a sealed unit and is supposed to be done at a shop due to the Mercedes built transmission.

Also, try the search function. It'll be your best friend when diagnosing commander issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you sorry bout being dumb but I dont really do anything mechanical with the Jeep. I figured this would be the easiest thing to do before I drop it off at my mechanic. Could you tell me if I should place it in neutral with the Ebrake after its warm and check it or does someone have to have it in gear with the E-brake on while I check it??? I do read the forum threads when I have issues. This time though I think its gonna be big problems.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Your owner's manual will describe how to check the transmission fluid level.

If you have a V6, you have to take it to the dealer or buy the special tool and use the charts while you read the transmission fluid temp.

If you have a V8, and the trans comes with a dipstick, often the instructions are written on the dipstick. I remember some posts about the instructions on the dip stick being wrong, regardless the owner's manual will have the right info.

J

·
0 Posts
drive jeep for 15 miles and make sure transmission is fully warmed up. It should be uncomfortable to touch the end of the dipstick and fluid, in other words hot. Park on a level surface. With your foot on the brake, shift to drive, neutral and reverse and hold in each position for 3-5 seconds. Put transmission in park then check level on dipstick. our RFE transmissions are pretty sensitive to fluid level, and will really screw up if you overfill them.
hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts