Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are trying to get the fluids ready to change our diff. And it says there is two speeds. We have googled it and can't find out which one we a are. Help!

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
We are trying to get the fluids ready to change our diff. And it says there is two speeds. We have googled it and can't find out which one we a are. Help!
@hantigkat;

Welcome to the forum; Situations like these are a prime example of why I am so adamant about new members filling out their profiles properly;

Based on your profile, you have the 3.7L V-6 with QT-I 4WD system, which has the SINGLE speed NV140 transfer case.

As far as I know, there are no differentials that come in one or 2 speed - there are only transfer cases that come in one or 2 speed.

Are you trying to change your transfer case fluid or your differential fluid?

Also, just to be clear, you have 2 differentials front & rear, but only one transfer case.

Your build sheet would also give you this information which you can get here by clicking the link below and plugging in your VIN #

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

I'd also suggest you make sure you get the proper fluid from FCA/Jeep for whichever job it is you're trying to do - getting the wrong fluid - or even an off-brand fluid that does not meet the FCA/Jeep brand specifications will most almost certainly cause you problems.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
@hantigkat;

Welcome to the forum; Situations like these are a prime example of why I am so adamant about new members filling out their profiles properly;

Based on your profile, you have the 3.7L V-6 with QT-I 4WD system, which has the SINGLE speed NV140 transfer case.

As far as I know, there are no differentials that come in one or 2 speed - there are only transfer cases that come in one or 2 speed.

Are you trying to change your transfer case fluid or your differential fluid?

Also, just to be clear, you have 2 differentials front & rear, but only one transfer case.

Your build sheet would also give you this information which you can get here by clicking the link below and plugging in your VIN #

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

I'd also suggest you make sure you get the proper fluid from FCA/Jeep for whichever job it is you're trying to do - getting the wrong fluid - or even an off-brand fluid that does not meet the FCA/Jeep brand specifications will most almost certainly cause you problems.

Hope this helps.
What he said.

But if you are talking about differentials, there are two flavors. The electronic limited slip differentials, found with the Quadra Drive II, and the standard open differentials. The only difference in terms of fluid is that the ELSD differentials found with the QD II require an additive be added to the gear oil. Since you have the 3.7L engine, I think it is pretty much certain that you have the standard differentials which just take the standard fluid without additives. As far as I know Quadra Drive II was never an option with the 3.7L Engine.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
What he said.

But if you are talking about differentials, there are two flavors. The electronic limited slip differentials, found with the Quadra Drive II, and the standard open differentials. The only difference in terms of fluid is that the ELSD differentials found with the QD II require an additive be added to the gear oil. Since you have the 3.7L engine, I think it is pretty much certain that you have the standard differentials which just take the standard fluid without additives. As far as I know Quadra Drive II was never an option with the 3.7L Engine.
Good point a @GTF;

I didn't even think to mention the ELSD's because I knew that @hantigkat didn't have the QD-II 4WD system which is the only Jeep 4WD system that came with ELSDs.

That being said, I still wouldn't refer to the Electronic Limited Slip differential, as a 2 speed differential, because that's just not an accurate description.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Good point a @GTF;

I didn't even think to mention the ELSD's because I knew that @hantigkat didn't have the QD-II 4WD system which is the only Jeep 4WD system that came with ELSDs.

That being said, I still wouldn't refer to the Electronic Limited Slip differential, as a 2 speed differential, because that's just not an accurate description.
To put another couple of cents in. All wheel drive rigs (like the Commander) do have a differential transfer case. Yes , I know that does nothing to add clarity. I have seen transfer cases referred to as "center" diffs, largely by the Land Rover crowd.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
To put another couple of cents in. All wheel drive rigs (like the Commander) do have a differential transfer case. Yes , I know that does nothing to add clarity. I have seen transfer cases referred to as "center" diffs, largely by the Land Rover crowd.
To my knowledge there is only one transfer case on all Commander models; That's either the NV140 single speed transfer case for QT-I or the NV245 2 speed transfer case for QT-II and QD-II.

You show me a factory build sheet for any Commander that lists a "differential transfer case" or a "center differential" and we can discuss this further; But I'll tell you here & now, you will NEVER find one.

Anything short of showing it to me in black & white, on a Jeep Commander factory build sheet and your point is mute.

Seems to me that if there was this differential transfer case, or, center differential as you call it - it would be something that would need to be serviced; I've had every single service & maintenance item that FCA/Jeep has on the Commander's maintenance schedule performed and I've never heard any mention of a center differential or differential transfer case - not once.

We are talking about Commanders not Land Rovers, 2 completely different animals.

I was trying to give the OP a little clarity here and you've contributed nothing but mud to the situation which was completely unnecessary.

·
Registered
193 Posts
@BigBlue, my apologies, I was not clear. I am not saying that there was any other Xfer case in the commander than what you listed. Just that it is not incorrect to refer to our Xfer cases as a differentials. Here is a clip form Wiki, Quadra-Trac II section, Third paragraph.
"In 2005 Jeep replaced the New Venture Gear NV247 transfer case with the NV245 transfer case. This transfer case actually has a center differential, allowing both the front and rear axles to have power supplied to them without driveline binding, even on dry pavement."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_four-wheel-drive_systems

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
@BigBlue, my apologies, I was not clear. I am not saying that there was any other Xfer case in the commander than what you listed. Just that it is not incorrect to refer to our Xfer cases as a differentials. Here is a clip form Wiki, Quadra-Trac II section, Third paragraph.
"In 2005 Jeep replaced the New Venture Gear NV247 transfer case with the NV245 transfer case. This transfer case actually has a center differential, allowing both the front and rear axles to have power supplied to them without driveline binding, even on dry pavement."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_four-wheel-drive_systems
@Up4XK;

I'm sorry; Please show me in any post in this thread, where I referred to the transfer case as a differential.

And whatever the center differential is - it's obviously not something that's serviceable and it's not listed on any Commander factory build sheet like the front & rear differentials are;

So, I don't understand what the point of even bringing it up was - other than to add confusion to the subject.

It's not relevant to what the OP was asking.

·
Registered
484 Posts
As a bit of clarification, it's not incorrect to refer to the transfer case in our Jeeps as a center differential, which is what I assume OP was doing. Jeep refers to it almost exclusively as a transfer case, but in reality it mixes a transfer case and center differential.

In the past, transfer cases were a very basic system. Gears would either lock together or unlock to provide either 2WD or 4WD, and to switch between high and low range. These gears were not designed to slip, so shifting into 4WD would lock both axles together. This model is still fairly common in trucks, though with a bit more complexity.

Center differentials, on the other hand, are targeted more at AWD setups, with the center differential acting much the same as an axle differential; depending on conditions, the differential could send power to either the front or rear end. This system allows for more complex power distribution than a basic transfer case, since the center differential can lock and unlock as needed. Typically, center differentials offer worse off road performance but better fuel economy than a transfer case.

Our Jeeps have a mix between the two; we have a transfer case that can shift between high and low range gearing, and a center differential that locks and unlocks the front and rear axles. This means we have a fairly complex AWD system in 4 high, with the center differential delivering power to whichever axle can apply it, and with QTII/QDII systems, a fully locked 4 low just like a basic transfer case would provide.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
From the Commander Service Manual:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think we're getting a bit wrapped around the axle and splitting hairs here with the terminology! If somebody comes on here and asks for help changing their struts, I would hope that folks would maybe point them to some Bilstein shocks and perhaps some new springs without lecturing them about the differences between shocks, springs and struts. It's pretty clear what they're talking about, no need to prove our superior knowledge by lecturing them about their use of improper nomenclature.

The reality is that the terms for a transfer case, and center differential are both often used loosely, sometimes by folks that don't fully understand the difference. They both accomplish the same task of connecting the front and rear axles together, yet allow them to operate independently when appropriate, albeit in different ways. To clarify, they are not typically used together, you have one or the other, each with its own benefits and drawbacks.

As jeep5253 illustrated, our Jeeps have the best of both worlds in that our unit mixes the features of both. It seems unreasonable to criticize someone for mixing up the terminology, considering that the factory manuals use them almost interchangeably and that both terms accurately describe our equipment!

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
I think we're getting a bit wrapped around the axle and splitting hairs here with the terminology! If somebody comes on here and asks for help changing their struts, I would hope that folks would maybe point them to some Bilstein shocks and perhaps some new springs without lecturing them about the differences between shocks, springs and struts. It's pretty clear what they're talking about, no need to prove our superior knowledge by lecturing them about their use of improper nomenclature.

The reality is that the terms for a transfer case, and center differential are both often used loosely, sometimes by folks that don't fully understand the difference. They both accomplish the same task of connecting the front and rear axles together, yet allow them to operate independently when appropriate, albeit in different ways. To clarify, they are not typically used together, you have one or the other, each with its own benefits and drawbacks.

As jeep5253 illustrated, our Jeeps have the best of both worlds in that our unit mixes the features of both. It seems unreasonable to criticize someone for mixing up the terminology, considering that the factory manuals use them almost interchangeably and that both terms accurately describe our equipment!
@GTF;

I respect your opinion - as well as your point of view.

That being said, I don't see the point of bringing up the "center differential" when it had nothing at all to do with the OP's original question - which in and of itself, was confusing enough the way it was worded.

As you can see it wound up being pretty counterproductive, dragging the whole thread off of the original subject to the point where we have people adding documentation about the center differential to the thread, when it has nothing at all to do with the OP's question about changing their front & rear differential fluid - if anything, it just added confusion to the subject.

·
Registered
86 Posts
@GTF;

I respect your opinion - as well as your point of view.

That being said, I don't see the point of bringing up the "center differential" when it had nothing at all to do with the OP's original question - which in and of itself, was confusing enough the way it was worded.

As you can see it wound up being pretty counterproductive, dragging the whole thread off of the original subject to the point where we have people adding documentation about it to the thread, when it has nothing at all to do with the OP's question about changing their front & rear differential fluid - if anything, it just added confusion to the subject that didn't to be introduced.
The "center differential" had everything to do with the OP's original question and seemed to be the terminology that he used.

The OP used that terminology, and has not been back to clarify it. Just like the OP, many folks use that term incorrectly and call the transfer case a differential since it performs the same task in a slightly different way, however due to the unique design of our particular unit, it is technically not wrong. Until he clarifies it with more information, we can't know for sure if he was wanting to change fluid in the transfer case, or if we should take him literally and assume he was changing his front and/or rear differential fluid. From his original post, it seemed that he probably just wanted to know which transfer case he had, and you gave him that information in the very next post, but without clarification we can't know for sure.

As far as documentation... you asked them to do that!

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
The "center differential" had everything to do with the OP's original question and seemed to be the terminology that he used.

The OP used that terminology, and has not been back to clarify it. Just like the OP, many folks use that term incorrectly and call the transfer case a differential since it performs the same task in a slightly different way, however due to the unique design of our particular unit, it is technically not wrong.

As far as documentation... you asked them to do that!
First off, your last statement is flat out wrong. This is what I said specifically;

Big Blue said:
You show me a factory build sheet for any Commander that lists a "differential transfer case" or a "center differential" and we can discuss this further; But I'll tell you here & now, you will NEVER find one.

Anything short of showing it to me in black & white, on a Jeep Commander factory build sheet and your point is mute.
What was posted doesn't meet the criteria of what I asked for.

I understand that the OP used the term "differential" when they possibly meant transfer case, either way, I still don't see how "Center Differential" applies here - the TERM WAS NEVER MENTIONED BY THE OP; they are either talking about the transfer case in which case they used the wrong term, or, they meant the front & rear differentials; either way "Center Differential" is not in the equation here and should not have been brought up in my opinion.

I've never heard of anybody refer to a transfer case as a "center differential"; If that's the merit of your argument...O.K. but it's still not the proper term if the OP, was indeed, referring to the transfer case; It's even more off-base, if they were in fact, referring to the front & rear differentials - because what would a "center differential" have to do with that? The answer is absolutely nothing.

And to be clear here, I was not jumping on the OP for possibly using the wrong term; I was trying to correct another member for introducing another term that I felt - and still feel, was not consistent with the topic at hand.

Furthermore, servicing the center differential is not listed anywhere on the Commander's maintenance schedule; Only servicing the front & rear differentials and servicing the transfer case is, which makes bringing up the "center differential" (something that is not even on the vehicle's normal maintenance schedule) even more off-base & confusing, since the OP was talking about performing routine differential maintenance and changing fluids.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think we're getting a bit wrapped around the axle and splitting hairs here with the terminology!
I'm gonna say it again ^^^, and perhaps we can just agree to disagree. If the OP wants to come back and contribute their second post, perhaps we can get some closure on this. Until then, I don't see what more we can add to this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts