Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I dont know if theres a how to install shocks but I was hoping that someone who has can enlighten me. My wheel bounces over bumps and would like to replace it with something better than stock. Few questions: 1. what shocks would you recommend for a more stiff ride? 2.How do go about replacing them. If you can give a detail directions to removing I would appreciate it :) .

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Removing the shock is very easy. There's a bolt at the top and a bolt at the bottom of the shock. Just unscrew them and it comes off. No need to jack up the vehicle neither.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
HemiGRN - In my post above, I failed to mention that those instructions were for the rear shocks only. The front ones (struts) are a different story.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
When I go over a good sized dip I get a lot of bounce from the rear of the Commander. I've already had the rears replaced once under warranty about 12k ago (will be out of warranty by the weekend). Do you think the 5150s would help to eliminate that? Also, would they work with both a stock height, or lifted XK (I know your's is lifted so know it works there)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how hard

CrzCajun said:
HemiGRN - In my post above, I failed to mention that those instructions were for the rear shocks only. The front ones (struts) are a different story.
How hard would it be to change the fronts?

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
yes. they are amazing. you need to get the ones with the 255/70 valving.

when i jumped my commander, the back didn't even bounce after i landed.:D

RedCommander said:
When I go over a good sized dip I get a lot of bounce from the rear of the Commander. I've already had the rears replaced once under warranty about 12k ago (will be out of warranty by the weekend). Do you think the 5150s would help to eliminate that? Also, would they work with both a stock height, or lifted XK (I know your's is lifted so know it works there)

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
4.7commander said:
yes. they are amazing. you need to get the ones with the 255/70 valving.

when i jumped my commander, the back didn't even bounce after i landed.:D
Did you go for the ones with 14.5" travel? If I read correctly the stock shocks had in the neighborhood of 13" of travel. Is that what you understand?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys... I am going to order the Bilstiens and will be installing them in a few weeks when I am on Vacation!!!

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
if you have the 2-2.5" lift, use the 12" shocks. they are a longer then stock
and will allow you to get more suspension travel out of the rear if you disconnect the swaybars

RedCommander said:
Did you go for the ones with 14.5" travel? If I read correctly the stock shocks had in the neighborhood of 13" of travel. Is that what you understand?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey 4.7, it sounds like those are great shocks for offroad. How is the highway ride with them?

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
the highway ride is great. a little more firm then stocks. which i really like better. the rear end doesn't seem to bounce like it used to over uneven highway sections. they really soak up the crappy stuff!

rem2506 said:
Hey 4.7, it sounds like those are great shocks for offroad. How is the highway ride with them?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Does anybody knows the part #'s for shocks and struts from Billestein?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts